POLL: Anybody Interested in Buying 1-2-3 Blocks?

Anybody Interested in Buying 123/246 Blocks?

• Total voters
Brother I use angle blocks all the time. But I did not mean angle blocks I meant V blocks. I say V blocks because they need ground square but the important part is just a V. You could start with one long block with V down the center hen cut them down and clean the ends.

The beauty of working from home with almost no overhead.... You can make one or two of anything, throw it against a wall and see how it goes. If it dont sale, well you just have an extra tool in your box.

Another option for you would be post a craigslist add for some small machine work. You can pull in pretty good money on a single and simple part. It's amazing what one will pay for some basic crap if it gets them back to work

Are these going to be 1-2-3 blocks as in ground. Good precision blocks are hardened and ground. This adds much to the build time and expense. I would think twice before I committed to this venture.

"Billy G"

Why not ask the members here what would be the most useful shop tool for everyone? I'm sure you'll get a thousand different suggestions, but you might get a better idea of what most members want but don't have the time, tooling or desire to make. Personally I need V blocks. I think the parallels are also a good idea. 123 blocks are a dime a dozen online and most members have 'em if they need 'em.

I also could used fixture plates for my little CNC, but I doubt there's much demand for that.

I bet more folks would like varies fixture plate ideas then you think. If you need to make more then 1 of something you cant beat the right fixturing set up. Maybe I'm biased from weld fixtures but it makes multiples a no brainer.
Why not ask the members here what would be the most useful shop tool for everyone? I'm sure you'll get a thousand different suggestions, but you might get a better idea of what most members want but don't have the time, tooling or desire to make. Personally I need V blocks. I think the parallels are also a good idea. 123 blocks are a dime a dozen online and most members have 'em if they need 'em.

I also could used fixture plates for my little CNC, but I doubt there's much demand for that.

Chuck has a pretty good idea there with the Craigslist ad. I don't advertise on Craigslist, but I look at the Gigs section a couple of times a day. About once a week or so somebody wants something machined or built. Over the last couple of years I have picked up several thousand $ in work that way. Be careful of who you deal with, pick your projects carefully and don't under bid just to get the job. I have several repeat customers. If you can make a little extra money, buy yourself a propane heater to keep you and your mill warm.

I have a set of .5-1-2 that I use all the time. I could go for a pair of 2-4-6's, I have plenty of 1-2-3's.

Thanks for the input,

The thing about V blocks is they have to be hardened, and I agree with Bill saying it might be too much time and expense. The HT places are 30 minutes away.
Maybe simply offer a regrinding service? (if the machine turns out to be in good shape) Because regrinding a sine bar, V block, or other simple things isn't that complicated if you have a good reference.

Doesn't look like I'll have to sell things anyway, grinder man has not contacted me back yet. It's been a few days, probably gone now :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet more folks would like varies fixture plate ideas then you think. If you need to make more then 1 of something you cant beat the right fixturing set up. Maybe I'm biased from weld fixtures but it makes multiples a no brainer.

A tooling plate would be a good idea, sadly my mill doesn't turn in reverse so that would be a LOT of hand tapping.

How about resharpening end mills? Cleaning up the faces? I know I have several that need facing and not a full re-grind.
(is face is the proper terminology?)

How about resharpening end mills? Cleaning up the faces? I know I have several that need facing and not a full re-grind.
(is face is the proper terminology?)

Normally you would request ''end only'' sharpening.

Back