POLL: Anybody Interested in Buying 1-2-3 Blocks?

Anybody Interested in Buying 123/246 Blocks?

• Total voters
Yes, back issues are available. They can also be bought on fleabay for .99 and up.

"Billy G"

Hey Andre, doing miscellaneous tool sharpening could work out pretty well. Any woodworker with a thickness planer can use a re-sharpening service. At $40 a pair for the cheapest blades, if they could be touched up, that would be good. There's a lot more to it than that of course. Others have mentioned end mills, perhaps drills as well. Custom lathe tools?

On the idea of 1-2-3 blocks (or 25-50-75mm blocks, etc.), I would make them with 3/8 through-holes instead of tapped holes. Much easier and faster. The heat-treatment is the iffy bit.

But you might need connections for this, perhaps a group or local machining club that needs these services.

Of course, I also see how much talent you have as a machinist, Andre, from your other projects. Let me tell you a one-line story. The semi-production/job shop I work at employs about 10 machinists and several others... but began as a one-man operation out of the owner's garage, 30 years ago. You, or I, or whomever could pull off the very same stuff. It just takes the right opportunity and the right spark.

Thats a fact brother.
Hey Andre, doing miscellaneous tool sharpening could work out pretty well. Any woodworker with a thickness planer can use a re-sharpening service. At $40 a pair for the cheapest blades, if they could be touched up, that would be good. There's a lot more to it than that of course. Others have mentioned end mills, perhaps drills as well. Custom lathe tools?

On the idea of 1-2-3 blocks (or 25-50-75mm blocks, etc.), I would make them with 3/8 through-holes instead of tapped holes. Much easier and faster. The heat-treatment is the iffy bit.

But you might need connections for this, perhaps a group or local machining club that needs these services.

Of course, I also see how much talent you have as a machinist, Andre, from your other projects. Let me tell you a one-line story. The semi-production/job shop I work at employs about 10 machinists and several others... but began as a one-man operation out of the owner's garage, 30 years ago. You, or I, or whomever could pull off the very same stuff. It just takes the right opportunity and the right spark.

Thank you very much, Pat.

I look at the grinder tomorrow, it's a DoAll 6x12. I plan to make a drill sharpening attachment, possibly an air bearing unit to sharpen endmills too. If all goes as planned, wish me luck! I do some woodworking also, mostly my dad though, sharpening planer knives would be a real timesaver and luxury to not have them be sent out.

Look up saw blade sharpening machines, for how simple they are they are seriously overpriced. I wonder if I could build one similar, really simple tool.

About planer blades, it would be dead simple to make a fixture to grind them. All you would need is a block of steel long enough to hold the blade, with a slot at the proper angle to allow you to grind the edge. Set-screws or even thumbscrews perpendicular to said angle to hold the blade in. I wanted to make some such fixture - but ran out of time at school.

About planer blades, it would be dead simple to make a fixture to grind them. All you would need is a block of steel long enough to hold the blade, with a slot at the proper angle to allow you to grind the edge. Set-screws or even thumbscrews perpendicular to said angle to hold the blade in. I wanted to make some such fixture - but ran out of time at school.

You can always make one on a Government job.

I was thinking of just using an angle block, prism like. Either just using the magnetic chuck to hold it on or drilling a series of holes and screw the blade to the fixture.

It is going to be difficult to try to make something that is already made and very cheap like the 1-2-3 blocks. Look into something that is not so easily available, maybe even 0.5-1-1.5 inch blocks. Smaller blocks might interest guys with smaller machines.

Consider offering to do some custom work, someone contacts you to do this or that small project with the grinder.

Many years ago I saw someone made several sets of Dominos out of aluminum. He made the blocks then had them anodized black then had a jig to drill holes and a small mill slot for the line in the middle. That would be a nice gift item and would sell well if done nicely. Maybe simplest way to make them is cut and grind perfect, shop out for anodizing and them shop out for CNC work that could be done all at the same time with the blocks in a set clamped all together at the same time. The guy from years ago paid for the anodizing by giving the guy at the shop a set when he was done.

Back