PM-949TV Ordered

mgalusha

Active User
Registered
Have not been on the forum much for the last few months, all my spare time has been spent building a friend some pretty serious loudspeakers. The upside of that is he paid me and that funds the purchase of a new mill. I've had an RF-45 clone for the last 9 years, while it's served well I've found in the last year that I really needed a larger machine. I was determined to get a "standard sized" mill. I posted the existing machine on Craigslist and much to my surprise I got a call first thing and he wanted it, no quibbles and he came by Saturday and picked it up.

Today I gave the folks at PM a call and asked if they had any full size machines in stock since I was now without and I didn't really want to wait X number of months. Nicole said they might have one and said Matt would call in an hour or two. About an hour later he calls, I learn there is one left of the PM-949TV (I think I have it right), a Taiwanese variable speed machine. He offered what I felt was a great price on the machine with a power feed and an Easson 3 axis DRO. I opted to upgrade the DRO to the ES-12 with the graphical display, the price difference was small and I wanted no buyers remorse. :)

Placed the order right then and Matt said it should ship in 2-3 days, woohoo! Now I need to get the phase converter I picked up last winter up and running and pull some wire but that should not be too bad.

Photos to come of course, since we all know without them it never happened. :)

Good for you!

Looking forward to the 'arrival, un-crate, setup, first chips, review' thread.

Very nice. Looking forward to the pictures. :)

Bill

Nice. Congrats on the new mill. It is the big brother to the PM935TV that I just received and I hope you are as happy with it as I am with my little machine.

I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing your opinions on it.

congrats, I think you have made an excellent machine.

I think Matt has a winner with this machine, and you were wise to get the DRO model. I wouldn't want to go back to manual ops without a DRO (shudder).

Now I need to get the phase converter I picked up last winter up and running and pull some wire but that should not be too bad.
Are you talking about a VFD, static phase converter, or rotary phase converter?

A VFD gives you definite advantages, offset somewhat by the fact that you are getting the variable speed (TV) head, so already have pretty convenient speed control.

It seems I misunderstood Matt on the phone, the invoice arrived and its a PM-949TS, so the step pulley version. That explains why I found the price so attractive and I'm totally cool with that.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Congrats big time mgalusha! I'm sure you'll dig your new machine. Like mentioned prior, no pics, it never happened. :))

Oh, and a write up would appease the machinery greater powers. :biggrin:

congrats, I think you have made an excellent machine.

I think Matt has a winner with this machine, and you were wise to get the DRO model. I wouldn't want to go back to manual ops without a DRO (shudder).

Are you talking about a VFD, static phase converter, or rotary phase converter?

A VFD gives you definite advantages, offset somewhat by the fact that you are getting the variable speed (TV) head, so already have pretty convenient speed control.

I have a 7.5 HP rotary converter, a large old Delco motor and the control electronics. However since I was mistaken about it being variable speed it is tempting to pick up a vfd so I'm not moving belts quite so much. I really like having one on the lathe and there is already a 30A 240V drop where the mill is going, which would remove the need to run more wire. At present the rotary is sitting in my storage space, so a fair bit of work to get it up. Something to sleep on.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

?.. since I was mistaken about it being variable speed it is tempting to pick up a vfd so I'm not moving belts quite so much.
Definitely do that.

The combination vfd+TS is very attractive, as it gives you near the same variable speed capability without the extra complexity of a variable drive and the greater potential for material issues associated with it.

silver linings and all that....

Re: PM-949TS Ordered

I heard from the trucking broker yesterday, they are looking to have it here tomorrow. Of course that all depends on everything going right but I'm hopeful. For larger machines PM doesn't ship via Road Runner, they use a broker to find a trucker to haul the load and once loaded on the truck it stays there until arriving at the destination. I've arranged for a local machine delivery guy to receive it at his shop, take the crate off the trailer and get it out to my shop. I'm hoping to be there when the freight truck arrives to inspect, hopefully all is well but time will tell. I feel like a kid waiting to unwrap their gifts.
:rubbinghands:

Definitely do that.

The combination vfd+TS is very attractive, as it gives you near the same variable speed capability without the extra complexity of a variable drive and the greater potential for material issues associated with it.

silver linings and all that....

As nice as having a VFD would be, I decided to just use the RPC for now since I already have it. I will have to wire it but that won't be too bad. Turns out my local Lowes is going to stop carrying 6-2 UF cable and I was able to pick up their remaining stock for $0.44/ft, that helps a bit.

I know how my weekend will be spent, providing all goes well and I receive the mill tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Back