PM 935TS ordered. Need guidance on VFD components and installation.

Comparing your wiring to the one I am using; it looks like there are a couple of diodes missing. Mark will have to chime in, I'm probably wrong.

But here is a screen shot of the wiring I am using or going to use I should say.

Screenshot 2022-03-02 202535.jpg

The additional diodes are optional, you can try wiring them in and see if it works. Normally what I I do is test the logic commands by using a 12 or 24VDC power supply connected to L (NEG) and P24 (POS), connect a volt meter to the negative and then measure the voltage on the output 1-6 as I activate the buttons. I have not built these schematics, and sometimes it is hard to say how the VFD's will respond. I typically use 2 wire control but requires relays and a different wiring setup.

So I would first see if the run forward/reverse work correctly and then recheck them in back gear. Also check that the JOG buttons have no effect when the 3 position maintained is in forward or reverse positions. This will indicate if the main system wiring is correct and then can look at the JOG circuit. Also need to check the wiring to the momentary switches, that you co not have the NO and NC reversed, the center is the common for the brown wire and the NO side needs to be connected as indicated.

The additional diodes are optional, you can try wiring them in and see if it works. Normally what I I do is test the logic commands by using a 12 or 24VDC power supply connected to L (NEG) and P24 (POS), connect a volt meter to the negative and then measure the voltage on the output 1-6 as I activate the buttons. I have not built these schematics, and sometimes it is hard to say how the VFD's will respond. I typically use 2 wire control but requires relays and a different wiring setup.

So I would first see if the run forward/reverse work correctly and then recheck them in back gear. Also check that the JOG buttons have no effect when the 3 position maintained is in forward or reverse positions. This will indicate if the main system wiring is correct and then can look at the JOG circuit. Also need to check the wiring to the momentary switches, that you co not have the NO and NC reversed, the center is the common for the brown wire and the NO side needs to be connected as indicated.
Run forward/reverse work correctly and also work correctly in back gear. Momentary forward/reverse toggle (JOG) will not work if the Run forward /reverse is not in the center off position. I'm using NO switches (automated direct joystick). I will continue testing. Since it wasn't mentioned, I'll ask again to be sure. I did not use the jog wire connection from the NO forward momentary to the # 5 terminal as I wanted the speed pot to adjust rpm. Is that OK? Thanks for the testing procedures and help.

It should work w/wo input 5 activated, input 5 just sets a fixed speed. The momentary F/R will only work when the F/R selector is in the stop position.

Results as of now. Added the other two diodes as shown in Just for fun's schematic. No change.
Went back to testing all functions and caught something I never checked. I did not check the momentary joystick in back gear.

Back gear in high:
Run - forward. OK
Run - reverse. OK
Momentary toggle - forward, runs forward. OK
Momentary toggle - reverse, runs forward also. NOT OK

Back gear in low:
Run - forward. OK
Run - reverse. OK
Momentary toggle - forward, runs forward, OK
Momentary toggle - reverse, runs reverse, OK
These results were the same with the other two diodes added and not added as I originally had it so I went back to my original wiring without them.

Last edited:
The back gear switch, the common needs to connect to input 3, NO to forward of the maintained switch and NC is to the Reverse of the maintained switch. Try a temporary bypass wire as shown in red below and try the high speed momentary reverse. This will activate input 3 directly, it will isolate the issue to the wiring back gear switch wiring or something with the momentary switch wiring. Unless I wire these up myself, I have no means of checking the input logic and VFD programming.
Mill Jog Momentary Reverse.jpg

I'll have to time to try this later today or tomorrow. I do know that while I was checking things I had the back gear switch connection unhooked at the control box and was using a jumper across the pins. It did the same as with the switch.

The back gear switch, the common needs to connect to input 3, NO to forward of the maintained switch and NC is to the Reverse of the maintained switch. Try a temporary bypass wire as shown in red below and try the high speed momentary reverse. This will activate input 3 directly, it will isolate the issue to the wiring back gear switch wiring or something with the momentary switch wiring. Unless I wire these up myself, I have no means of checking the input logic and VFD programming.
View attachment 398975
Checked the wiring for the back gear reversing switch. It is correct. Jumper wire had no change.

I have no other suggestions, other than to test the logic to the output pins using a power supply and checking the voltage to the pins. One reason why I build these systems so I can check all the logic/functions. It appears that input 3 is not receiving an active signal. You could try a jumper to input 3 wire connection from P24 wires and try to activate the momentary reverse switch. Tracing the wiring paths it should work. The only other thing to check would be that the polarity of the diode is in the wrong direction in the reverse SW pink wire or less likely the diode is not working. One reason why I check the logic with a power supply before I install any systems.

Back