PM 935 mill - Owners List

I don't think so. The castings still look identical, other that the addition of the chamfers on the front of the base. Probably just a minor design change by the manufacturer.

Probably something simple. Perhaps someone at the factory noticed that those corners need more filler before paint, after being bumped around moving between machining operations.

Add a chamfer to those corners before casting, save a few ounces of iron, reduce labor cost repairing dings and adding filler to a visible area. I can see a few reasons someone would make that decision.

Looks like it has them on the back too. I like the look.

Anyone happen to know which frame spec the motor for the PM935ts uses?

I'm looking at 3phase motors on Amazon, and would love to NOT have to make an adapter.

Mine (935TS 3PH) is at the freight dock this morning. I'll get pictures of the pick-up and unload.

Last edited:
Anyone happen to know which frame spec the motor for the PM935ts uses?

I'm looking at 3phase motors on Amazon, and would love to NOT have to make an adapter.
Yes, the 3PH motor is a 100 L. Here is the data plate. Sorry for the somewhat crappy photo. The power went out just as I was getting ready to get a photo so the flashlight didn't make things better it seems. If you need more info, I'll get a picture tomorrow.
GH020440.jpg

Thanks for replying.

Interesting though, I'm back in town, so was able to look at mine for the info I need. Mine is a 112m. Weird.

My motor, while 3hp too, is physically larger, and has no cooling fins. I'm wondering if my adapter plate has screw patterns for 100l in addition to 112m.

Mine isn't just 3HP, it's 3PH. A dyslexic's delight. :p That's why the frame is different. It would be interesting to figure out if the 100L will fit on the 112M mill. I'm sure PM could clear this up.

Also, here are the videos of the unload and then move into place. Nothing surprising. I do usually screw pallets to the deck of the trailer if the load is top heavy or slightly unstable.

Looks awesome!

I decided to convert my lathe first. I scored a Seimens 2hp 3phase on ebay for 99$ with free shipping.

I ordered a teco VFD and a set of new fag bearings for the motor. Once I get the lathe finished, I'll start on the mill.

I decided to experiment with a jog joystick. I bought a p3 america 4 way mini joystick to use as the jog. The VFD has programmable inputs, so I'm going to set up 2 inputs with a preset frequency (about 10hz). Up will be reverse @ full speed, down forward full speed. Left will be forward @ about 10hz (8 rpm in lowest gear) and right will be reverse @ 10hz.

I might try it for threading. Thinking left and right on the joystick to correspond to the carriage direction while threading. With motor braking, it would make metric threading to a shoulder a snap.

Mine isn't just 3HP, it's 3PH. A dyslexic's delight. :p That's why the frame is different. It would be interesting to figure out if the 100L will fit on the 112M mill. I'm sure PM could clear this up.

Also, here are the videos of the unload and then move into place. Nothing surprising. I do usually screw pallets to the deck of the trailer if the load is top heavy or slightly unstable.

That mill looks small in that video.

Ordered mine mid-January 2019 and it arrived two weeks later. The picture below is right after it was uncrated, put on its ~7"-tall wheeled stand, and moved into position. At this point, the other power feeds, DRO, VFD, control panel, and spindle light, had yet to be installed.

I just checked PM's pricing, and if memory serves, they've increased about 30%.

1619836157486.png

For your entertainment, here's my write-up regarding delivery day:
So the mill arrived, with some heart-stopping drama.

Things started out well enough, with the truck arriving on time. The first thing to note is that for some reason, someone decided to sit the enormous 1,676-pound crate (with its integral pallet) on top of a weak and partly collapsed second pallet. That made it tough for the driver to get the pallet jack under it. The there was that he parked the truck pointing uphill, so once on the pallet jack, the crate wanted very badly to roll toward the rear of the truck. I asked if he’d like to turn the truck around, but he said no problem. Okay…

The only thing stopping the entire affair from rolling out the back was him dropping the floor jack and letting the pallet skid to a stop, and we haven’t gotten to the fun part yet.

So as he’s nearing the lift gate, I said that the pallet looked longer than the lift gate. Again, “no problem”, but I wasn’t buying it. As he rolled the heavy pallet onto the lift gate, it sagged, further increasing the downward angle, making the whole thing try even harder to roll off the end. At this point, he had the controlling wheel of the pallet jack about 12″ from the rear of the lift gate, yet there was about 13″ of pallet still in the truck bed. I was sure that we were either stuck, or that it would end up in the street. So at this point, he (now having to stand to one side) had to raise the pallet jack just enough to let it roll a bit more, yet stop it before the pallet jack wheel rolling off the end of the lift gate. He did, stopping it—I kid you not—1/4″ short of disaster. Of course, that meant that there was still 1.25″ of pallet in the truck bed, which was a big problem. The truck facing uphill, the lift gate bending downward, and the pallet still not fully on the lift gate. At this point, he couldn’t let go of the pallet jack handle because it would have swung down, likely causing the entire thing to end up in the street. So then he asked me to lower the lift gate a little. I asked “are you sure?” “Sure.” Ugh, okay, so I lowered it about an inch, and as feared, the front edge caught, causing the entire crate to tip even further towards disaster. He said, “drop it another inch.” Sheez, okay…. (in hindsight, who’s fault would it be if it fell off? Hmm.)

With a crack and a thump, the 1,676-pound load broke off the leading edge of the bottom weak pallet, and it was finally entirely on the lift gate, and safely lowered to street level—I could breath again. It really was that close to disaster.

Once at street level, there was then the task of pushing it up the driveway, and it took all of our combined strength to get it there, but finally it was in the garage. The pictures show the rest of the story, having to cut away the pallet in order to gain access with the engine hoist. What’s not shown is the 1-2 hours my brother and I spent trying to get the mill onto its stand, which involved using tubes for rollers and literally “greasing the skids.” Then there was removing the mystery preservative on the surfaces, installing the power drives, and, what will take a fair bit of time, wiring everything, including the variable frequency drive.

Last edited:
That mill looks small in that video.
I thought the same thing. It didn't feel small while moving, but the knee is all the way down. Oh, I'm also nearly 6' 5", so that tends to make it look smaller.

I do think I'm going to have to build a riser though. Maybe repurpose the pallet it came on, that was a very solid stack of wood.

Back