PM 935 mill - Owners List

David B, Langley, BC.

I ordered mine in Dec 2016 and received it about 4 months later direct from Taiwan.

It has CSA labelling for Canada, so the wiring and options were a little different than the USA models.

View attachment 256298

Here's my PM935TS on delivery day, April 2017.

I ordered it with a 3 phase motor and are getting ready to start the VFD install.

Got the Easson 8A DRO and an ebay Tach.

I'm copying xplodee's design for the control pod, with a huge amount of help from Mark (mksj)

View attachment 256299

I'm attaching the VFD control enclosure to the mill base on the left side, I was able to reuse the existing screw holes for the cover plate, so no need to drill any holes.

More pictures once I get some progress on the install.

David.
David: I'm thinking seriously of the 935 for later this spring and wondered what made you decide against the PM935TV single phase in favour of the 3 phase with VFD - I did finally get my GT1340 running sweet after some help from Mark Jacobs by the way.

Alex, I wanted variable speed on the mill so I chose the PM935TS and installed the VFD myself as I was committed to installing a VFD on my PM1340GT so thought it was logical to do the same on the mill.

I believe the cost was slightly less going with the TS with VFD versus the TV and I also just like the look of the TS better.

As a cost breakdown, the price difference is about $800.00 US$ and the parts for VFD conversion was approx. $650-$700 US$

As you know the VFD install requires a bit of skill and knowledge, but with patience and the help of Mark Jacobs, it's actually not that difficult on the mill.

David

David: Did you source the shielded cabling for this or did Mark supply it. I was looking for a source on line when hooking up mine before I commited to Mark's system and it seemed impossible to source in small economic quantities. I'm assuming also that you utilized a HItachi VFD (bigger that that for the lathe as the mill is a 3hp head i believe).
Alex

Alex, I wanted variable speed on the mill so I chose the PM935TS and installed the VFD myself as I was committed to installing a VFD on my PM1340GT so thought it was logical to do the same on the mill.

I believe the cost was slightly less going with the TS with VFD versus the TV and I also just like the look of the TS better.

As a cost breakdown, the price difference is about $800.00 US$ and the parts for VFD conversion was approx. $650-$700 US$

As you know the VFD install requires a bit of skill and knowledge, but with patience and the help of Mark Jacobs, it's actually not that difficult on the mill.

David
On another topic does you GT1340 have a neutal detend on the hi/lo range lever or does it just kind of balance precariously between hi and lo range when in neutral.

No neutral detente on the 1340GT H/L lever, have to jiggle to be between gears. Somewhat scary if you forget and start the lathe, so like the chuck key I always return it to gear and bump the jog to verify engagement before using.

No neutral detente on the 1340GT H/L lever, have to jiggle to be between gears. Somewhat scary if you forget and start the lathe, so like the chuck key I always return it to gear and bump the jog to verify engagement before using.
Thanks Mark, seems a bit dumb but I guess that's the way it is.

New 935 on its way to the workshop
CA45B35C-2890-4EEB-9A34-B075C658FE46.jpeg

I got one. I've done lots of good work on it over the years.

The only thing I don't like about it is (was) the yellow plastic power switch. I hate yellow. And plastic.

I went with brass and aluminum.

Interesting, the flying zephyrs pic above indicates there might have been a design change in the base casting. Mine, nor any of the others posted here have those chamfer on the base.

Last edited:
I wonder if Matt changed suppliers for that mill.

Back