PM 728VT question

this was today. 93 degrees, humid as hell. blast hood/respirator/long sleeve shirt/jeans/boots/gloves. my grandson's 21 foot project. somehow I did all the blasting LOL.
7-28-21.jpg

any feedback from those who own the 728VT?
I would caution against this mill if you are going to be milling stainless on any consistent basis. I own this mill and have done a couple of stainless projects. It struggled. Just doesn't have enough low end power at the lower speeds that stainless likes. Rigidity isn't enough so chatter is major problem and you'll end up burning through a bunch of cutters. You'd be better off with a 2hp gear head mill. If you are going to stick to aluminum, this mill is very capable and does anything I want.

thank you. that is exactly the type of input I was looking for. and afraid of LOL. I have sent an email to PM enquiring on when they expect their 932M to arrive. think I am going to make a switch.

Oh wow… that is great feedback. :encourage:

I am switching as well.

I just noticed that PM has raised the prices on the Taiwanese mills on the mill/drill page of their website.

Oh wow… that is great feedback. :encourage:

I am switching as well.
Really? You don't know what specific material was cut, you don't know the depth of cut, the feed rate, nor the type/size of the cutter. That post didn't tell you anything other than he did "a couple of stainless projects".

I've milled stainless on smaller machines than a 728 just fine. But maybe I was just lucky. YMMV of course.

Really? You don't know what specific material was cut, you don't know the depth of cut, the feed rate, nor the type/size of the cutter. That post didn't tell you anything other than he did "a couple of stainless projects".

I've milled stainless on smaller machines than a 728 just fine. But maybe I was just lucky. YMMV of course.

First of all, I am a newbie that does not know squat... I have had great results with soft materials on G0704... but any hard material would give me a fight. I know that the bulk of it is my lack of knowledge... but if I am buying another one, the price difference for something a bit stronger that another forum member has been able to compare, well... it is just the slight push I need to buy a beefier machine. Add to that the ability to handle a little bit larger pieces...

The PM-728VT with DRO and stand is 4,300.00 (without shipping)

The PM-932M-PDFw/3axDRO and cast iron stand is 4,038.00 (without shipping)

And I am not getting rid of the G0704 after I finish the CNC conversion...

That was my reasoning...

as I said in my intro, I'm a complete newby to this. it says you are the chief tinkerer so apparently you know what you're talking about, I sure don't. I just don't want to outgrow a majorly (to me) expensive machine and have regret. I hate having regret.

As far as I know, it's still legal in this country to spend our own money as we see fit. So buy what you want, and enjoy it. :)

I was simply pointing out that the post you are referencing didn't really tell you anything. And that's OK as well I guess.

Enjoy your new machines guys.

As far as I know, it's still legal in this country to spend our own money as we see fit. So buy what you want, and enjoy it. :)

I was simply pointing out that the post you are referencing didn't really tell you anything. And that's OK as well I guess.

Enjoy your new machines guys.
It was not about how we spend the money…. I really appreciate the feedback. Just sharing some of my reasoning.

Like the OP (@yota ) , I do not want to regret the purchase….

If you have a model recommendation that would be better and in the same price range, would love to know.

Last edited:
Back