PM 728VT question

Yota, Thanks for kind words.
I did not have access to a welder or welding supplies/materials at the time of purchase (Covid issues with buddies/suppliers) and was just easier to go with the factory stand. I can see where a wider base would be nice, however, as stated availability and sq footage were holding me back.
The feet that came with it were a little small in the floor contact diameter and I wanted ability to move it around if needed; so I initially installed heavy equipment leveling legs then onto leveling casters (which the 728 is sitting on now). I've found the casters to work well for my needs and seems very stable and also still have the original OE legs plus some heavy duty threaded legs with 4" diameter feet - just have not felt the need to install them.
My 728 currently has an X power feed, rotary table/chuck, and 4" vise on it (extra weight) and it does not seem tippy (even when I run the motor assembly to top of travel, however most of my project are closer to table. By tippy I'm indicating setting my project parts on the table for setup operations, I'm not to rock it.
Most of my milled project surfaces have a nice even finish, good for my amateur skill level.

Attachments

• 4 inch 1.jpg
    4 inch 1.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 122
  • 4 inch 2.jpg
    4 inch 2.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
so sounds like the stand is ok but not great. I appreciate your time in responding.

Agree, It is not up to the standard of a custom stand, however, pretty good for a factory assembly though.

they have cast iron stands offered for some of their heavier machines. I have read good things about those. they apparently weigh 300 lbs or so.

Most of them as well as equipment was on BO at my time of order. So I just pulled the trigger on factory unit.

yeah, I'm in their backorder queue. just been second guessing if I should have ordered a heavier mill.

Hi Yota,

I have the same concern, Unfortunately I don't have much experience with milling machines so I am unable to provide much guidance.

I'm also waiting for the PM728. It seems like the delivery date will be sometime in September. This is giving me way too much time to look over the specs and start wondering if I should go bigger. It's a real dilemma. I keep having to talk myself out of it.:)

The decision to pick the PM728 came down to:
- Preference for Taiwanese machine
- X and Y travel is sufficient for what I will be doing
- future plan for CNC

I will be milling Stainless Steel for a vacuum chamber so I was concerned about not having enough power. Some members on this forum have reassured me that the PM728 is more than capable.

As for the stand, I decided to go on my own. I never liked the cabinets under my lathe. I find them too wobbly if that makes any sense. I'd rather have smaller feet which provide less surface on the floor but more pressure which makes thing sturdier. I also would like to have more adjustment range in height. I've started a thread on this subject.

SRay: Thank you for those photos. I did not realize that the doors to the cabinets could be on the sides instead of the front. This opens up new doors (pun intended).

Rich

thanks Rich. I emailed yesterday with Lee at PM about delivery updates and received the following reply "We are expecting a large number of containers in the next few weeks, and so anyone with a backordered machine should be getting the good news soon."

frank

I just saw that PM did a July 22nd backorder update on this mill saying now expected "late late August". wonder if that's even likely. getting impatient.

My back-order was delayed a couple times as well. They (PM) unfortunately don't have any control over ships, ports, and US customs. However, very good at getting the equipment setup and shipped to end use customer once they have it in warehouse.
I know bla-bla-bla waiting isn't much fun, I was in same situation and felt similarly.

Last edited:
Back