• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

zr8cnc

Active User
I found the included pendent to be only slightly better than useless. I am currently using a "Wireless" pendent from China. It is OK but could be better.
Like I have mentioned in the past I use the VistaCNC pendant it it is truly a nice piece of equipment. Well made and easy to use. Plug in the USB and cutting chips in minutes. Also I will prob throw my jamen pendant in the trash. That pendant feels like a cheap kids toy lolol

benb

Swarf
Registered Member
I finally got my variable speed mill running close to the way it should. The pendant is still non-functional and I think I will just go with an Imach. (Thanks). I ended up using Ray's XML file as a base and then had to do some tweaking to the input pins, steps per, etc to make it match my machine. Be aware that apparently these machines do not all come wired alike or even to screen shot settings on the CD.

Now I'm down to spindle RPM. Using Ray's settings at least got mine turning, but not at the desired RPM. I do not have a tach (yet) to check, and apparently there is no actual RPM feedback into Mach3?, but it seems off at least at low rpm. Anyway, does anyone have pulley settings for both gears on variable speed machines that yield a fairly accurate RPM? I am drilling some 304 stainless and need around 240RPM with some torque behind it.

benb

Swarf
Registered Member
My guess is the newer machines are coming with different stepper motors and the "Documentation" was not updated. The higher number should give better precision and possibly smoother operation in theory, but not sure if it is noticeable between the two. (Replying to the question about why the differnece between 8000 and 12800 steps per on some machines.)

lim1wph

Well fellas, I am really hesitant to ask but has anyone tried Mach4 yet? I"m just getting comfortable with Mach3 but if there is a better mouse trap out there what the hell. Bill

GaryL

I am in the same situation, with the Variable speed and Pendant. I have most things working, but spindle speed control is the main issue, along with a non-functional pendant. Matt said some users with new machines were also having issues with the pendant and he was going to get one setup next week and figure it out. FYI, the Motors on these new machines are running ~12800 steps per in, not the 8000 quoted in the "documentation"
Ben, I have a pendant that is only partially functional, I was wondering if your were able to get yours working, and if so would be willing to share the setup to get it working.

GaryL

Well I discarded the pendant that came with my pm45m, and bought a Vistacnc P2-S. It appears to be well made and all of the function work well except for the velocity and continuous modes, which do nothing. Has anyone encountered this problem and know of a solution?

GaryL

Well I discarded the pendant that came with my pm45m, and bought a Vistacnc P2-S. It appears to be well made and all of the function work well except for the velocity and continuous modes, which do nothing. Has anyone encountered this problem and know of a solution?
VistaCNC sent me a link to an alternate plugin and now I have full function of my P2-S pendant.

lim1wph

Hey Fellas, Has anyone hooked up a touch plate and a touch probe on their machine? I was guessing that you connect one wire to a blank spot on the Jamen board and the other to the 5 volt ground. Is this correct? Thanks, Bill

zr8cnc

Active User
sorry I cannot help you with that one, but I too would be interested in knowing how

lim1wph

This seems like something Boswell could solve if he hasn't already. Are you still out there Obie Wan Boswell?

lim1wph

Hello zr8cnc,
I finally got back to that height set tool plate. I got it right away. I don't think that I had the damn thing running before when I was trying to get the Digitize light to prove the circuit. Sometimes I amaze myself at how thick headed I can be. Here is the button script used with built in instructions for personalization.On the board I used I10 and the 5v ground. Bill

CurrentFeed =GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate to return to later

CurrentAbsInc =GetOemLED(48) 'Get the current G90/G91 state
CurrentGmode =GetOemDRO(819) 'Get the current G0/G1 state

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then'Check to see if the probe is already grounded or faulty
DoOEMButton (1010) 'zerothe Z axis so the probe move will start from here
Code "G4 P3"' this delay gives me time to get from computer to hold probe inplace
Code "G90 G31Z-4.F4"'probing move, F4is the feed rate here for the move and -4is how far spindle will move beforegiving up
While IsMoving() 'waitwhile it happens
Wend
ZProbePos = GetVar(2002)'get the exact point the probe was hit
Code "G0 Z"&ZProbePos 'go back to that point, always a very small amount ofoverrun
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Call SetDro (2, .793)' change .060 to your plate thickness and then adjust for finalaccuracy
Sleep 200 'Pause for Droto update.
Code "G1 Z1.F50"' Z1 is the Z retract height you want here, must be greater than thetouch plate thickness F50is the Feedrate after process
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Code "(Z axis is nowzeroed)" 'puts this message in the status bar
Code "F"&CurrentFeed 'Returns to prior feed rate
Else
Code "(Z-Plate isgrounded, check connection and try again)" 'this goes in thestatus bar if applicable
End If
If CurrentAbsInc = 0 Then'if G91 was in effect before then return to it
Code "G91"
End If
If CurrentGMode = 0 Then'if G0 was in effect before then return to it
Code "G0"
End If

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Wow, it looks like I missed a bunch of post in this thread. I still have not figured out how to automatically subscribe to threads that I post in.

Did you connect the probe as lim1lph suggested ?

lim1wph

Hi Guys, I'm going to try a touch probe next. I don't know if I can use the same connections or use another empty point on the card. I think that ProbeIt looks like a good addition to Mach3. I just read the manual for it and it seems as though there are quite a few settings to tweak, but that's what a hobby is all about. See ya, Bill

lim1wph

Well, the touch probe has been a bust. I've tried everything I can think of but there just isn't enough information from Jamen. Has anyone replaced it and, if so, what did you replace it with? Thanks, Bill

Boswell

I have not tried to use a probe yet but I have looked at the Jamen documents (such as it is). forgive me if you already figured this out and tried this, but it looks like the IN# need to be shorted to Ground via 10 Ohms of resistance in order to signal to Mach3 that there is a contact closeure. Have you tried this without using the Probit to see if the control board is talking to Mach3 properly?

lim1wph

Hi, I have a tool height block that works great without a resistor. The touch probe that I have requires the Input to be reversed, as it is closed to start and then opens when it touches something. It's been 2 weeks since I've played with it but it won't respond (the Probe LED won't clear) no matter what I try. Could this be because I am not using the resistor? Thanks for responding, Bill

Boswell

It should not mater if it is N.O. (normally open) or N.C. (Normally closed). A typical tool height setter will have only one wire from the control board to the setter that is then shorted to ground via the tool and machine. This is a N.O. configuration. For a N.C. tool to work it most likely has two wires. One would need to go to Ground and the other to the control board. If the switching is 100% mechanical then it should not mater which. If it has some active component to it (internal circuitry) then that could be the issue and there is no universal answer on how to connect an "active" switch. You can find out which you have by using an Ohm meter across the two wires and then deflecting the tip to see what happens. A N.C. switch should have a very low resistance (<3 ohms) until it is active (deflected in this case) then the resistance should go up into the > Multi Megaohms. Is there a place I can download the documentation for the touch probe ?

P.s. I doubt the resistor (or lack of resistor) is the culprit.

lim1wph

Here is a picture, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-probe...-cnc-mill-lathe-router-engraver-/161352724525 It just came in a box with nothing else. I assumed that was because they are so simple, just 2 wires in a shielded cable. For the touch probe I am using the same 2 connections that I use for the tool plate that I ran to a couple of mounted banana plugs. I just have to change the input, or so I thought. Bill

Boswell

The connection instructions on the Ebay site seem pretty standard and should work with the Jamen controller.
I would break out your ohm meter to see what is going on "inside". Might just be broken

Mount it on your mill, then
1. Measure between the two wires when it is not touching something (not deflected)
2. Measure between the two wires when it IS touching something (deflected)
3. Measure between one (RED or Positive first) of the wires and the table when it is NOT touching the table
4. Measure between the same wire and the table when it IS touching the table (or a metal part that is clamped to the table)
5. Repeat #3 and #4 with the Other wire.

Proper operation probably should be (assumes that the switching is "passive" (mechanical). If it is "active" then it will require some power to operate. Looking at the generic design info that I can find, it looks passive
1. High resistance
2. Low Resistance
3. High Resistance (both wires)
4. High Resistance (both wires)

lim1wph

It looks like the problem lies within ProbeIt. The machine will respond directly to Mach3 but it just won't respond to ProbeIt for some reason. It senses when the probe is activated but is unable to do anything with it. What a shame because that program looks really handy. I was exchanging emails with the author and he was at a loss to make it work with the Jamen card. He even refunded my PayPal account without me asking. I was hoping that I could figure something out and give him his money back because I really like the way his program could be used if functional. Now, since you sent me back to the beginning Mr Boswell I was able to find an intermittent wire, of all things. Once the probe activated every time it was supposed to the Mach3 controls respond consistantly. Thank a lot for the tutorial, Bill

Boswell

That is great news and I am glad I could help. I broke my Fowler electronic edge finder a few week ago and have not replaced it so I just ordered one of these probes for myself. I am looking forward to getting it hooked up.

Boswell

Lim1wph, were you ever able to get Probe-It working?

GaryL

Hello Boswell, I just bought a probe and have been setting it up, I wired it up and then set the input in mach3, do you know if there are any other settings in mach3 that need to be addressed?

Boswell

Hello Boswell, I just bought a probe and have been setting it up, I wired it up and then set the input in mach3, do you know if there are any other settings in mach3 that need to be addressed?
Is this on a PM45M-CNC ? If not, what motion controller do you have? If so then I was able to get the probe working. I connected one wire to Input #7 on the JNC-40M and the other to one of the logic grounds that are on the control board. I can go into the diag screens of MACHG3 and see the LED go on and off when I deflect the tip. However I am having problems finding ANY software that can utilize the probe that will work. So far Probe-It will see the probe working but as soon as you command Probe-It to do anything like calibration, it fails and nothing happens.

lim1wph

Hi Gary, I sure wish ProbeIt would work with our Jamen card but it just seems like it is not going to happen. If you find another program that will function please let us know. ProbeIt looks so useful it's really a shame we can't use it. Bill

GaryL

Is this on a PM45M-CNC ? If not, what motion controller do you have? If so then I was able to get the probe working. I connected one wire to Input #7 on the JNC-40M and the other to one of the logic grounds that are on the control board. I can go into the diag screens of MACHG3 and see the LED go on and off when I deflect the tip. However I am having problems finding ANY software that can utilize the probe that will work. So far Probe-It will see the probe working but as soon as you command Probe-It to do anything like calibration, it fails and nothing happens.
Hello Boswell, Yes I have the PM45M-CNC. You are ahead of me, so far the mach3 led won't budge for me. Did you put a resistor in the path?

Boswell

I did not use a resistor. Check your port setup. here is a snapshot of mine. the "Probe" signal should be set to Pin #7 and that is where one wire from the probe should be connected. The "Active Low" will determine if the LED is on normally and goes OFF when deflected or vice-versa.
ports and pins 5.jpg

There are three wires from the probe. Two signal and one for the Shield on the cable. I attached the shield to the ground block in the bottom right of the control box. you can see the metal block that is directly connected to the frame and has many wires going to it. The other two wires don't matter but one goes to the INPUT #7 and ther other goes to a logic GND that can be found on the motion control board. A test would be to just run a wire from the #7 input pin and then while watching the diag screen, touch it to the table. This should ground it and the LED should change On to Off or the other way around. This will let you know if the problem is with the probe or not.

GaryL

Hello Boswell, thanks for the pin inputs picture, any chance I could get a picture of the connect points on the JNC-40M card?

Boswell

Hello Boswell, thanks for the pin inputs picture, any chance I could get a picture of the connect points on the JNC-40M card?
I can but it will probably be tomorrow. Let me see if I can pull picture of the card that I can illustrate. if not, I'll take a picture tomorrow of my setup and post it.

[6]
5 [7]