1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by Boswell, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Ray C

Ray C United States Moderator Staff Member Moderator

City:
    Crofton
    State:
    Maryland
    For those of you watching this thread, we got it all worked-out in a few minutes. Minor tweaking of the stop tab settings...

Life is good for ajg308...

Ray

2. ajg308

ajg308 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Middleton
    State:
    Idaho
    Life is good! We should all be thankful for someone like Ray. He gave me is personal cell and walked through it together with me. In his own time, pretty awesome. Thanks Ray.

Aaron

3. lim1wph

lim1wph United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    Hi. I'm so new to this I haven't even received my machine yet. I will have many questions in the future but the only one I have now is, since my computer doesn't have a rs232 printer port, which one will I use? USB or VGA or HDMI or do I need to get a rs232 board to stick in the mother board? Thanks, Bill

4. countryguy

countryguy United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Fenton
    State:
    Michigan
    Hi Bill. welcome! Been in the "so new I can spell Mach3" and it is exciting times! The PM45 look awesome and you'll love it I'm sure! On the Mach3 setup. That is usually a parallel port connected item. This is a long thread chain. Was there something mentioned about the MTR's (min tech reqs) for the home computer somewhere? happy to help. Have you selected a CAM program and/or a CAD design tool?

I use Draftsight from Dessault. It is totally free. for CAM I selected DolphinCam. I have been really happy with it overall. Parts and designs are getting done and the learning curve was pretty extensive and very fun to learn. Just takes some time. Ask away here!

5. Boswell

Boswell United States Hobby Machinist since 2010 H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the forum. The PM45M-CNC will talk to MACH3 (or is it that Mach3 will talk to the PM45M-CNC) via a USB connection. of course you will need a VGA or HDMI to connect a monitor to the computer. I don't have a Parallel or RS-232 connection on the computer running MACH3 and have not missed them.

6. lim1wph

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    Hello Countryguy and Boswell! Thanks for the info. I went ahead and sprung for Bobcad. I've had it for a few months and am starting to get the idea of how stuff works. The Mach3 how to videos on the Artsoft website either did not mention any connection other than rs232 or I just didn't hear it. The ports I listed were the ones not in use on the back of the computer so it's great to here that USB will work. I thought that there would a way other than RS232 because it's pretty antiquated as far as computers go. I retired in March and started metalworking as my new hobby and see that it's so interesting and I'll never run out of things to learn(especially since I know nothing). I have found that I am starting into a hobby that some people are retiring from but there seems to be a greater number of people who are metal workers by trade and have shops at home because it's so interesting. Again, thank you for helping Bill

7. lim1wph

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    Countryguy, I looked at all of the software packages I could find on the internet. The only people around here I could find to talk to were guys who used the software where they work. They each liked the software that they knew and they were using industrial strength programs $$$$$$. Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc. I really don't know why I decided on Bobcad but they have been great to me and I am getting the hang of it. The biggest mistake that I made was trying to figure it out on my own with no cad background. Once I got the instructional videos things took off. Talk with you later, Bill

8. countryguy

countryguy United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Fenton
    State:
    Michigan
  9. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    Re: Mach3 via USB- side-bar. PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

The PM45M-CNC comes with a Motion Controller. This is what translate data from Mach3 to the Stepper and spindle motors. The specific Motion controller that the PM34 uses comes with a "Driver/plugin" that you install on the Mach3 system. It will interface the Motion Controller that is in the PM45... Control cabinet to Mach3. You might be able to find a little bit of info on the motion controller if you search around. It is a JNC-40M. Of course the PM45... will come with the instructions (mostly translated) to configure and install all of this. Any translations that you don't understand you can get clarification here. we have all been through it.

10. GaryL

GaryL United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Taft
    State:
    California
    Hello Ray, I have a pm-45m-cnc, variable speed motor, two speed gearbox, and a pendant. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of someone who might have this same setup who might be willing to email me a working mach3 xml configuration file.

11. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    Ray put together a document that describes all the settings needed to get a PM-45M-CNC up and running and I am sure he will see your request and reply soon. In the meantime, I can share what I have figured out through trial and error. I will take a look later on this evening for the config file and can post it when I have it.

12. benb

benb Swarf Registered Member

City:
    winona
    State:
    Minnesota
    I am in the same situation, with the Variable speed and Pendant. I have most things working, but spindle speed control is the main issue, along with a non-functional pendant. Matt said some users with new machines were also having issues with the pendant and he was going to get one setup next week and figure it out. FYI, the Motors on these new machines are running ~12800 steps per in, not the 8000 quoted in the "documentation"

13. lim1wph

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    Hi benb, I had the same issue with steps per inch. You must have found that calibration button on the Settings page also. I don't have the spindle problem but my pendant is also non functional. I'm very new to this but if there are any settings you want to compare just let me know. Bill

14. GaryL

City:
    Taft
    State:
    California
    Hello Benb, I am having a heck of a time with the homing configuration page, I was wondering if you could tell me what you came up with?

15. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    here is a screen capture of how I have my Homing and Limits set. I hope it helps.

Homeing and Limits.jpg

Homeing and Limits.jpg

16. GaryL

City:
    Taft
    State:
    California
    Hello Boswell, thank you for your homing setup. Did you leave your system as set up at the factory or change the limit switches and home to the sw?

17. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    Good point. Yes I did reverse the homing to it now homes to the SW. After having completed the change, i don't think it brought me any value. but also not worth putting back.

BTW, here is my homing setup before I reversed the X and Y homing corner.
    Home.jpg

BTW, I recommend that you take a screen capture of every single configuration page for later reference. This has come in handy more than once.

Home.jpg

18. lim1wph

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    Hello Boswell, Are you using 12,800 spm on your machine and how did you come to find it? Was it that Calibration Button on the settings page? I just wondered why it's different than the Setup instructions. Thanks, Bill

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  19. GaryL

City:
    Taft
    State:
    California
    Thank you Boswell, the before axis relocation home and limits screenshot helped me out, my machine is now functional and I am beginning to understand the Mach3 software.

20. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    SPM ? Steps per ?

I am using the 8000 Steps per inch
    Motor Tuning X.jpg

I have been experimenting with the acceleration and Velocity numbers.
    Y and Z axis are the same except the Z I use 20 in/Min for Velocity and 10 in/Sec/Sec for acceleration

Motor Tuning.jpg Motor Tuning X.jpg

21. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    Great to hear [GaryL]. it took me a while to get it all figured out. let me know if you have any more questions that I can help with.

22. lim1wph

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    Hi Boswell, here is what I ended up with for my machine to produce full size tool paths. I wonder if I have something set differently somewhere that requires these settings. However, the motors sound much better since it started making full size tool paths. They use to kind of groan especially when homing Z. I also noticed that the DRO, before the change, was indicating the correct dimensions from the g code but the actual tool movement was 1/2 scale. Weird! Thanks for helping out, Bill

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG Capture1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  23. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    This seems very strange. With the Steps set at 12800 If you go into Mach3 and Set the x Offset to Zero then use MDI to enter G50 <enter> then G0 X2. Does it actually Move 2" ? The G50 will set any scale factors in Mach3 to 1.0 and of course the G0 X2 will do a rapid move in the x plane of 2".

24. GaryL

City:
    Taft
    State:
    California
    I was having the same problem with my mill only traveling about 1/2 the actual distance. So I went to the settings tab, axis calibration, set steps per unit and after I measured and input actual distance traveled, it set the parameter to 12800. Now the mill is traveling the actual distance I tell it to.

25. zr8cnc

zr8cnc United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Fitchburg
    State:
    Massachusetts
    just out of curiosity how did was the 8000 steps derived at in the first place? Im trying to remember how I calculated my motors when I set them up.

26. zr8cnc

City:
    Fitchburg
    State:
    Massachusetts
    I believe I recall that the value of 320 was multiplied by the factor of 25 to get 8000. but I believe the factor is actually 25.4 and the would result in 8128 steps per

27. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    I think that I got the number independently from others when I was experimenting. At the time I did not have very good measuring equipment so I taped a 12" steal rule to the table and put the smallest drill bit I had into a chuck. Then started moving back and forth using MDI while changing the values of the Steps per inch. I arrived at 8000. It is interesting because my measuring system was probably not good enough to resolve 128 steps per inch. I have not done much "precision" work and any errors I have attributed to my lack of skill and experience. It is very frustrating that this very fundamental number is not definitively published. I guess I will get out the DTI and see if I can verify the number this weekend. There is still the question of what is causing a difference between 8000(ish) and 12800.

28. zr8cnc

City:
    Fitchburg
    State:
    Massachusetts
    Boswell,
    I completely agree with your frustration as I thought that this mill would have been plug and play with directions included that leave no stone unturned. I was instantly overwhelmed with setting this mill up because of my lack of experience. But we all chipped in an got these mills up and running. The 12800 number has to have something to do with either stepper motors or the lead screws

29. lim1wph

City:
    saint marys
    State:
    Ohio
    zr8,
    I have gotten 2 buttons to work on the pendant. Z- moves Y+ and Y- mover Z+. Still working on it as a matter of principle but will soon order an iMach. Not sure which model though. I really kind of like the layout of the Jamen pendant. Perhaps Mach4 will be better at interpreting this stuff. I think I'll give it a try when it comes out.

30. Boswell

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas
    I found the included pendent to be only slightly better than useless. I am currently using a "Wireless" pendent from China. It is OK but could be better.