PM 1340GT and PM 932PD Ordered Today

Coolidge,
Yep it's basiclly the same lathe just a different color. I'd have to look up the dimensions (sp) . I'm only 6 ft so you may be right. The way this thing is going the only stand I get might be the one I build. I've had it for 5 or 6 weeks and can't do a damn thing but look at it. This is my first ever lathe and I'm really looking forward to making some stuff.
Best,
Houston

Hi Chuck, Yes I can weld some. I'm not a pro but I've managed to keep my machinery going over the years. Thing is I'm alot more physically challenged now. Four back surgeries and three others put me in a wheelchair. I'm able to get up and do some things now but have to be careful. I'll get'r done though. But I am going to wait on the stands to see if they will work first.
Best,
Houston

You can see how shallow the stands get with leveling pads in this pic. Also that sheet metal between the stands and chip tray does nothing to secure the two stands together. When I make my stand I plan for the top to be solid all the way across so the mounting surface is in the same plane and rigid.

l6.jpg

Here you can see the poor quality paint job from the factory, I had to paint them myself.

l1.jpg

l3.jpg

l6.jpg l1.jpg l3.jpg

I see what you mean. Our lathes and stands look 99.9% identical.

View attachment 72984
Maybe you can enlarge that a little to see better. That's my first picture put n here.
I'd like your thoughts on something if you would.
I was wondering about adding a piece of one inch plate steel spanning the complete width of the stands under the chip tray. Then bolting it to the stands and the lathe to the plate. Also adding a one inch plate say 24 to 30 inches square under and attached to each stand. Then machining leveling pads 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Using a ball end mill to make a socket in each pad, then machining a bolt with 3/4 threads and turning a ball on the end for a tight fit in the socket. Then attaching the levelers farther out on he plate for a bigger footprint

Sounds like piece of 1 onch plate steel

I have a heck of a time with these posts, sorry. I'll try the picture again.
I think we may be thinking along the same lines on trying for more rigidity. I've also seen posts where guys have put concrete in their stands for the weight. That was on a mill but don't see much if any difference.
Your lathe and mine are made by the same company. Grizzly owns both among others. Specs on ours are identical, I checked. I think mine has one extra button.
Well your thoughts are appreciated.
Best,
Houston

$_0.png

$_0.png

Putting a wider leg base with levelers farther out will go a long way to help stability of the machine. Just don't put it so far out that it's a trip hazard.

Ray

I see what you mean. Our lathes and stands look 99.9% identical.

View attachment 72984
Maybe you can enlarge that a little to see better. That's my first picture put n here.
I'd like your thoughts on something if you would.
I was wondering about adding a piece of one inch plate steel spanning the complete width of the stands under the chip tray. Then bolting it to the stands and the lathe to the plate. Also adding a one inch plate say 24 to 30 inches square under and attached to each stand. Then machining leveling pads 4 to 5 inches in diameter. Using a ball end mill to make a socket in each pad, then machining a bolt with 3/4 threads and turning a ball on the end for a tight fit in the socket. Then attaching the levelers farther out on he plate for a bigger footprint

Sounds like piece of 1 onch plate steel

I would just use some heavy wall angle. Cut it longer then the base is wide. What ever width you want. Drill holes in the center to match the holes for the levelers. Then drill two holes out board for thenew level location.

Turner some thoughts...1 inch plate would be way overkill this lathe doesn't weight that much about 1,000 pounds. I plan to use some 2x3 tubing probably 1/8 to 1/4 inch wall thickness lengthwise for the lathe to sit on. The lathe mounting pads are 8" wide so I'm probably going to use 4-5 of these 2x3 tubes welded together to give me an 8-10 inch wide base. I will probably weld a couple 1/2 plate pads at each end for the lathe to bolt to but that's mostly to get the lathe up out of the coolant and add some thickness to drill and tap the mounting holes. The current stand is 14.5 inches deep, I'll probably shoot for 24 inches deep maybe less as someone mention there is the trip hazard to consider and there's no sense going deeper than required. Not sure yet what the rest of the stand will look like but the goal is to be rigid enough to only need 4 leveling pads one at each corner, leveling 8 pads is a giant pain and I think overkill.

I guess I need to rethink this. I thought the problem with these machines was lack of rigidity. Just figured more weight might help solve that. Back to reading more posts. Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the input.
Best,
Houston

Back