PM 1340GT and PM 932PD Ordered Today

zmotorsports

Registered
Registered
Well, I know I am new here and I have enjoyed reading everyones posts lately. They have been very informative which is why I joined the forum. I have been self taught thus far and have added machining to my small performance shop as a service in which I provide to my clients.

I bought a Smithy 3-in-1 machine about 15+ years ago and it has actually served me fairly well. Originally I purchased it to be able to fabricate/produce small one-off items for the many custom motorcycles, sand rails, sand quads and Jeeps that I have built and work on. Most all of the small custom touches that I add to a chassis or project that I am building have been machined on my Smithy machine.

However, over the past year or so I have found that more and more customers are coming to me to merely machine and/or weld a small part of a project that they are working on. At first I was reluctant because it was taking me away from wrenching or building full-blown project vehicles but my wife and I discussed it and realized that if they don't have me build the entire project then at least some of my work will be on part of the project.

I started picking up more and more side machining and welding projects but quickly realized I was at the limit of my little machine as far as rigidity and accuracy. I have been able to hold quite tight tolerances, however, I really have to watch my dial indicators and have to take many more cuts than I would like to and I have to creep up on the dimensions. I would like to be able to have better repeatability and have the ability to hold tighter tolerances.

I have been doing a lot of research over the past 3 or so months and have heard many good things about the machines coming from Grizzly and Precision Mathews. Seems like the Asian machines have really stepped up over the past couple of decades. Anyway after talking to Matt @ Precision Mathews and having some questions answered by Ray C. I decided to pull the trigger.

I ordered a PM 1340GT and a PM 932PDF to replace my Smithy combo machine. I will post up some pics of when it arrives and setting it up as well as hopefully being more active on the forum as it seems to be a great place to share machining information.

Mike.

Congratulations, that is a nice combo. Looking forward to some pics. :)

Bill

Nice! I had a hard time choosing between the 1340GT and the 1440BV, I ended up the 1440BV as I wanted the larger bore and variable speed but it was a split decision. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new aquisitions. I cant speak for the PM lathe (yet) but I am well pleased with my PM 932 mill. It will make a pretty nice upgrade to your 3in1 thats for sure.
You will find loads of info about setting your machine up around here

Nice! I had a hard time choosing between the 1340GT and the 1440BV, I ended up the 1440BV as I wanted the larger bore and variable speed but it was a split decision. I'm sure it will serve you well.

Those were the exact two that I was waffling between as well. I considered the 1440HD for a moment but that soon passed as I realized the my budget would not allow BOTH the 1440HD and the 932PDF. I would have to hold off on the mill and I didn't think that was an option.

I really waffled between the 1440BV and the 1340GT as although at the high end of my budget, it would allow me to get both the lathe and mill. In the end I didn't think the ~1" swing difference would make that big of a difference and I too wanted some variable speed so I ordered the 1340GT in the 3-phase configuration and I will install a VFD on it. BAM! Getting excited.

Mike.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new aquisitions. I cant speak for the PM lathe (yet) but I am well pleased with my PM 932 mill. It will make a pretty nice upgrade to your 3in1 thats for sure.
You will find loads of info about setting your machine up around here

That is exactly what I am hoping for although I have not been unhappy with my Smithy. I am however curious to see the immediate difference/transition to the new lathe and mill.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mike.

Congrats & welcome! I have no doubt you should be happy with both machines, excellent choices!

Congrats & welcome! I have no doubt you should be happy with both machines, excellent choices!

Thanks Will. I have really enjoyed reading about your PM1236 and PM45M upgrades/modifications. I actually just sent you a private message with a few questions when I noticed you responded to my thread.

Very nice work on your machinery, I hope you don't mind if I copy a few of the modifications/improvements.

Mike.

Back