PM 1340GT and PM 932PD Ordered Today

Thanks Will. I have really enjoyed reading about your PM1236 and PM45M upgrades/modifications. I actually just sent you a private message with a few questions when I noticed you responded to my thread.

Very nice work on your machinery, I hope you don't mind if I copy a few of the modifications/improvements.

Mike.

Thanks, sure I don't mind. PM replied.

I am going through the same thought processes right now. Just out of curiousity, why did you choose the 1340GT over the 1440BV? It looks to me like the 1340 is less machine for more money, especially when you are planning to spend even more on a variable speed drive. I know that the 1340 has "greater precision," but I doubt that my skills will ever be up to the task of being able to use the difference, whatever that may be.

In any event, congratulations!

I am going through the same thought processes right now. Just out of curiousity, why did you choose the 1340GT over the 1440BV? It looks to me like the 1340 is less machine for more money, especially when you are planning to spend even more on a variable speed drive. I know that the 1340 has "greater precision," but I doubt that my skills will ever be up to the task of being able to use the difference, whatever that may be.

In any event, congratulations!

It is definitely a personal choice, I don't think there is anything wrong with the 1440BV as I was very interested in that one as well, although not as interested as the 1440HD due to the mass of the HD, however, it was just way outside my budget. If you are thinking it is "less" of a machine because of the one inch less swing there is such a small difference in swing between the 13" and 14" was pretty much insignificant so I focused more on the overall quality and fit & finish of the machine.

The biggest reason I chose the 1340GT over the 1440BV was the fact that the 1340GT is manufactured in Taiwan vs. China. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Chinese machines, they are nothing to sneeze at and they have come a long way in the past decade or so but the Taiwan machines are just a cut above in many aspects. In my research the Taiwan machines are gaining quickly on even the Japanese ones as even the new Southbends are made in Taiwan nowadays.

Mike.

Nice purchases Sir.

I too would've chosen the 1340GT over any of the Chinese made machines solely because it's made in Taiwan.
Taiwan had a 20-30 year headstart on the Chinese and I feel there is a clear qualitative difference between them.
It won't take the Chinese half as much time to develop a widely respected machine tool industry as it did Taiwan but I just don't feel the Chinese are on par with Taiwan yet.

Nice purchases Sir.

I too would've chosen the 1340GT over any of the Chinese made machines solely because it's made in Taiwan.
Taiwan had a 20-30 year headstart on the Chinese and I feel there is a clear qualitative difference between them.
It won't take the Chinese half as much time to develop a widely respected machine tool industry as it did Taiwan but I just don't feel the Chinese are on par with Taiwan yet.

That is what I am continuously being told by people who have had both. Although don't get me wrong, the newer Chinese machinery is leaps and bounds better than it was a decade or so ago. My little Smithy was cutting edge as far as Chinese machinery goes in the late 90's but a friend of mine bought a Grizzly (can't remember the number) 12x36 lathe about six or eight years ago and I have helped him get familiar with using a lathe and it is much nicer than my Smithy from a decade earlier.

Mike.

Did Matt have both of your machines in stock, or are you waiting for a slow boat? :)

Bill

Did Matt have both of your machines in stock, or are you waiting for a slow boat? :)

Bill

Just like all the other distributors that sell decent stuff, we are out of virtually everything that everyone wants. The Chinese factories are apparently constipated and every reputable distributor that sells good quality stuff is getting choked right now.

I mentioned over a month ago, this problem was coming -and now it's here. China is producing to the point of killing themselves and not all of it is bound for the USA.

Ray

Does Taiwan take a month or two off like Mainland China?

Does Taiwan take a month or two off like Mainland China?

They take extended vacations and celebrate their New Year but, they manage the work forces with split shifts etc...

Ray

Back