Please show me your Tool Post ID grinders.

I was pretty amazed to visit e bay and look at the multitude of Dumore grinders listed; 108 listings, most for complete units at widely spaced pricing.
Just trying to figure out which used offering would fit my lathe. The old models aren’t listed on Dumore’s web site.
The #57 new for my lathe. Is $3,200
If I could find a Dumore with attachments for I’d and od grinding for my 15” swing on EBay……I’d be a player.
Dave’s looks tempting as well.
Got to hurry up. 39 days left then I’m on fixed income.
Not to worry, my wife is going to keep a keen eye Though

I use a pretty decent high speed air die grinder mounted rigid in a QCTP holder, it has done the job for me but I rarely do anything tighter than 4 tenths (.0004")
I think I paid about $65.00 for the die grinder and it came with .125 and .250 collets.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Joe

I use a pretty decent high speed air die grinder mounted rigid in a QCTP holder, it has done the job for me but I rarely do anything tighter than 4 tenths (.0004")
I think I paid about $65.00 for the die grinder and it came with .125 and .250 collets.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Joe
Interesting!

Why not make one?
Agree.

Jeff, you have made some nice shop tools. Why not make your own tool post grinder?

FWIW, here are two DIY versions. The spindle was built using ideas from this book.

The smaller version set up to grind chuck jaws:

Set-Up - Grinding Atlas Chuck Jaws 2.jpg
The larger one set up for external grinding:
DSC_0045.JPG

The two quills which fit both versions.
Tool Post Grinder Quills.JPG

HFT's trim router is the motor for the smaller version -- and their full sized router is the motor for the larger version. I have since made one change - switching to a flat belt from the round belts shown in the photos.

HTH, Bill

Why not make one?
Ah, don’t you need to have ability first?
Actually, clough42 made a nice unit on YouTube.
There are several videos on a diy unit.
Interesting idea.

The dremel idea seems viable. I saw a QCTP boring bar holder holding the whip attached to the dremel.
Jeff , I found the grinder and it is a Super 50 like the one posted for sale on the bay . Haven't found the tool holder for the lathe or the mount to the BP quill but they're here somewhere I think . I'll post a pic later on tonight . Not sure if this is something that fits your bill or not .

Pic coming . I have to take care of Mike first ! :grin:

Precise Super 50 .

Attachments

• IMG_8672.JPG
    IMG_8672.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
I made one with an air powered die grinder. Machined an aluminum holder for the tool post and an adjustment for the speed control lever. It works OK but lacks serious power. Slower than I'd like but gets there and is easy to get very accurate bearing fits. Way better than the Dremel I first tried.

Back