Please show me your Tool Post ID grinders.

The dremel will kind of work,but it really needs something with better bearings
Trying to understand...do you mean better bearings will give longer life or better surface finish or something else?

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of parts made with a Dremel-type grinder v. a true TPG. Assuming an equally careful setup, where would the Dremel-produced results be unusable? Granted, a real TPG will be capable of much deeper depth of cut and speed of work but that is generally not a big concern for a hobbyist.

Craig

Trying to understand...do you mean better bearings will give longer life or better surface finish or something else?

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of parts made with a Dremel-type grinder v. a true TPG. Assuming an equally careful setup, where would the Dremel-produced results be unusable? Granted, a real TPG will be capable of much deeper depth of cut and speed of work but that is generally not a big concern for a hobbyist.

Craig
The thing I noticed with the Dremel and a pencil grinder was the runout. I think that’s the comment about the bearings was about. And that runout is crucial for smooth finish. That’s the thing with the Foredom I noticed right away was the tool didn’t skip around from runout. It was smooth. It’s what dentists used back in the day and what jewelers use along with wood carvers. I’ve not had any call for grinding on the lathe but I know it would do a good job.

My Dumore TP grinder is a model T110, and has both OD and ID spindles and is rated at 3/4 HP @ 18,000 rpm. I have used the air turbine grinder for internal grinding on my Norton tool & Cutter grinder.

Jeff , if you are seriously looking for an ID grinder , I have one . It is a Precise die grinder I've had for years . It's like this one . I would let it go for far less than the one on the bay . I think at this time I can start to let some things go to better homes . I have/had a toolpost holder made for this grinder . I might be able to find it as I don't throw much away . :big grin:

After watching Ca-Lem‘s latest YouTube video, I am inspired to rig up a device to ID grind tapers etc.

I was pretty amazed to visit e bay and look at the multitude of Dumore grinders listed; 108 listings, most for complete units at widely spaced pricing.

Jeff , if you are seriously looking for an ID grinder , I have one . It is a Precise die grinder I've had for years . It's like this one . I would let it go for far less than the one on the bay . I think at this time I can start to let some things go to better homes . I have/had a toolpost holder made for this grinder . I might be able to find it as I don't throw much away . :big grin:

OMG! 45,000 RPM! That would be a mighty small diameter wheel.

Yeah , she spins alright . I used it on our Deckel Jig Bores full speed , for the lathe , I ran it with a pot .

After watching Ca-Lem‘s latest YouTube video, I am inspired to rig up a device to ID grind tapers etc.

The dremel idea seems viable. I saw a QCTP boring bar holder holding the whip attached to the dremel.
And there is this……
https://pin.it/YlI7riG

Look at this...
My mistake, my Dumore seems to be a #57

Back