Please show me your Tool Post ID grinders.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
After watching Ca-Lem‘s latest YouTube video, I am inspired to rig up a device to ID grind tapers etc.

The dremel idea seems viable. I saw a QCTP boring bar holder holding the whip attached to the dremel.
And there is this……
https://pin.it/YlI7riG

Look at this...

Last edited:
Dremel = weak I have a larger DuMore, also I have a pneumatic turbine ID attachment, use it on the T&C grinder. They do exist despite lack of pictures.

The dremel will kind of work,but it really needs something with better bearings

I got fed up with my puny Dremel years ago and got a Foredom. Best upgrade ever. But there is a huge variance in actual power. They are rated by amperage. I bought an older US made used one off eBay. There are Chinese versions that are about as puny as a Dremel. My Foredom I can’t bog down hardly. I also like the quick attach of different handles. Would be super easy to make into a TPG.

Dremel = weak I have a larger DuMore, also I have a pneumatic turbine ID attachment, use it on the T&C grinder. They do exist despite lack of pictures.
There are lots of Dumore tool post grinders on EBay. $200-$400 range.
John, are the spindle bearings easy to replace?

I got fed up with my puny Dremel years ago and got a Foredom. Best upgrade ever. But there is a huge variance in actual power. They are rated by amperage. I bought an older US made used one off eBay. There are Chinese versions that are about as puny as a Dremel. My Foredom I can’t bog down hardly. I also like the quick attach of different handles. Would be super easy to make into a TPG.
Thanks c-bag, I’ll check out that name.

It looks like if I buy a Dumore, I need a #57. I see a #5 that is in good shape.
Anyone know if this will fit a 15” swing?
The spindle is the same for 5 and 57 according to one source.

Another option is TheMac - a Dumore competitor. I have 2. I really like the spindle height adjustability on them! My lathe has a 12" swing & this J-4 version looks like it would still adjust for you. Does inside & outside grinding.

20210914 01 sma.jpg

J-4

01.jpg

J-2A1

11.jpg

I’m thinking a new Foredom would be about as much as a clean used Dumore..
I disagree. New ones are junk/puny. The used one I got, a 1.7amp is twice as strong and was around $100.

Back