Please show me your Tool Post ID grinders.

Watch out for the spindle bearings in the spindle itself. I e read lots of stories of people buying tp grinders only to find out that the spindle bearings are shot. Spindle bearings from dumore are super darn expensive. Good luck

OEM parts are always a lot more expensive than buying quality name brand bearings from supply houses. There can be a catch sometimes when the OEM had special bearings made just for them. When I was doing spindle repairs I learned a little bit about bearings. Enough to be dangerous. Bearings designed for high speeds typically have greater clearances to account for the expected higher temperature expansion. Always replace both bearings of a set with factory matched sets. Pay attention to the orientation when you are replacing them so they are running opposed. If the preload is via spring washers replace in the same orientation they came off in. If the bearings are grease lubed don't totally fill them. It will cause them to run hot. Oil mist lube systems ensure a constant flow and carry away the excess heat, make sure they are clean and working. Be careful, a failed bearing can ruin a very expensive shaft. It is nearly imposable to tell if a bearing is bad once it is off the machine (unless it is really bad.) While you've got it apart replace all of them. Work in a clean area. Robin has a good video on bearings and tolerances.

OEM parts are always a lot more expensive than buying quality name brand bearings from supply houses. There can be a catch sometimes when the OEM had special bearings made just for them. When I was doing spindle repairs I learned a little bit about bearings. Enough to be dangerous. Bearings designed for high speeds typically have greater clearances to account for the expected higher temperature expansion. Always replace both bearings of a set with factory matched sets. Pay attention to the orientation when you are replacing them so they are running opposed. If the preload is via spring washers replace in the same orientation they came off in. If the bearings are grease lubed don't totally fill them. It will cause them to run hot. Oil mist lube systems ensure a constant flow and carry away the excess heat, make sure they are clean and working. Be careful, a failed bearing can ruin a very expensive shaft. It is nearly imposable to tell if a bearing is bad once it is off the machine (unless it is really bad.) While you've got it apart replace all of them. Work in a clean area. Robin has a good video on bearings and tolerances.
Great information, Larry$

There is also 1-1/2 hours of extremely detailed information on rebuilding precision spindles in this Robin Renzetti video.

I think a new Grizzly may be a better choice than a 60 year old clapped out Dumore.
Still too much though. I'm hoping to be in the $350 or less range. No hurry, I'll keep looking.

Or, a Hemingway kit? Anyone have experience with it?

Last edited:
Dumore spindle bearing are not off the shelf and can only be had through the company as far as I know. 300 a piece last I checked.

If you want to make one I'd suggest this guys plans. Not a difficult project.

Hey Jeff, did you ever get a tool post grinder? This noticed this one local:

Back