Plasma Cutter help

Thought I would give an update. I am still waiting on the Powermax45XP. I ordered it from BakerGas and It seems that it is backordered now and Bakergas can't tell me when it will be available. It looks like it is B.O. from other suppliers as well so I will just be patient. (not my strong suite)

Thought I would give an update. I am still waiting on the Powermax45XP. I ordered it from BakerGas and It seems that it is backordered now and Bakergas can't tell me when it will be available. It looks like it is B.O. from other suppliers as well so I will just be patient. (not my strong suite)
Oh man, that's a bummer. Once you pull the plug on a new machine you want it now!!
It seems everything is on back order.

I can't see putting in an active moisture removal system just for a limited amount of cutting per year.
I think you could buy or make a desiccant drier without breaking the bank. The desiccant can be dried out and used over & over.
My shop has aa refrigerated drier that takes a lot of water out of the air every day. In addition the CNC equipment each has a desiccant direr that holds about a gallon of beads. They turn color as they gain moisture to tell when to change. To dry the beads just put them on a cookie sheet, low oven temperature and they will be dry in the morning. Seal them in a container.

I currently have 4 Hypertherms, a PM30XP, a PM45XP, a PM65 and a PM85. I’ve had a least one of every major brand plasma cutters (Lincoln, Miller, Thermal Dynamics, ESAB and a few others), I had a cheap Chinese sourced one that burst into flames, the first time I pulled the trigger (it took 2 extinguishers to put it out). I settled on Hypertherm, because like a Bic pen, it had to work “first time, every time”, long consumable life and consumable availability (it seems like all welding suppliers carry them). While not cheap, I feel they were well worth their cost and have made me many times their cost, back to me.

desiccant direr that holds about a gallon of beads. They turn color as they gain moisture to tell when to change
I have Desiccant beads in my air supply line. Even with climate control in the shop, they only lasted a week before I had to dry them out. Too much work.

I also want to buy a plasma cutter for cutting up some obsolete machines to salvage the metal.
Some components will become parts for other machine builds.
I have plenty of power and compressed air. Most of what I'll be cutting is 8 to 12mm thick.
I'd like to be able to blow the welds away here parts a joined at 90 degrees.
I've spent a lot of time reading about plasma cutting. Can't justify a Hypertherm. Have pretty much settled on a 60 amp

they only lasted a week before I had to dry them out. Too much work.
The shop down the street used a desiccant drier for their laser machine. Worked fine. But they, like all things need to be sized for the application. Theirs had two tanks about 6' tall and automatically switched between, so one was in use and the other drying. The gallon+- sized ones on our machines are backups incase the refrigerated drier has problems.

I know you said that Hypertherm is out of the running but just in case you change your mind, There is a special tip available that directs the plasma out at a 45 deg angle, that along with holding the gun at a 45 deg angle means that you can cut out a weld on a 90deg joint and leave the structure alone (in theory). I have not tried this (still waiting on my Plasma Cutter) but they have a video showing how it works. looks real handy.

I also want to buy a plasma cutter for cutting up some obsolete machines to salvage the metal.
Some components will become parts for other machine builds.
I have plenty of power and compressed air. Most of what I'll be cutting is 8 to 12mm thick.
I've spent a lot of time reading about plasma cutting. Can't justify a Hypertherm.
Trying to justify the price of an Italian made machine.

my HTP Microcut 875sc has gouging consumables that work pretty well. Cheap to replace too.

Back