Plasma Cutter help

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There is a project coming up were I will need to cut some 16ga steel sheet. While I could do this with a cutting wheel, I want to explore using this as an opportunity to add a plasma cutter to my tool inventory. With that said, I know almost nothing about plasma cutters. looking online, they seem pretty simple but I don't know, what I don't know. BTW, I already have a dedicated MIG welder and so I think I am only looking at a dedicated tool. It will likely get only occational use so I don't need an industrial tool (read: entry to mid level and priced accordingly)
1. What are optional features and how important are they?
2. What should I be looking for? (Duty Cycle?, Dual Voltage? )
3. what else?

As always, thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

There is a project coming up were I will need to cut some 16ga steel sheet. While I could do this with a cutting wheel, I want to explore using this as an opportunity to add a plasma cutter to my tool inventory. With that said, I know almost nothing about plasma cutters. looking online, they seem pretty simple but I don't know, what I don't know. BTW, I already have a dedicated MIG welder and so I think I am only looking at a dedicated tool. It will likely get only occational use so I don't need an industrial tool (read: entry to mid level and priced accordingly)
1. What are optional features and how important are they?
2. What should I be looking for? (Duty Cycle?, Dual Voltage? )
3. what else?

As always, thanks for any suggestions and guidance.

I think it really depends on how thick you’d like to be able to cut. I got a Vipercut 30 a few years ago and it’s always been good for me. Will cut up to about 1/4” happily. It sits at the upper end of super cheap imports. Was $400 I think. I’m sure equivalent units are less now. I think I’ve of the more important things is to make sure you know what consumables a torch uses and that you can get quality replacements. George’s Plasma Cutter Shop is a good source; I think should have checked for used machine options from him.

Thanks jwmelvin. I am happy with a limit of 1/4" and think it would be rare to cut more than 16ga steel.
I have started to look around at used system. Thanks for the suggestion of George's Plasma cutter Shop

Plasma is great and I’ve used them extensively. But mostly Hypertherm. The one I used the most was a larger unit and it was great until it broke. They are not bullet proof. They are susceptible to water in the air lines so a better than usual dryer is a must. I now use mine with refrig dryer unit. They are also susceptible to ingesting their own metal spray as they are air cooled. And that can short out and play havoc with the innards. I couldn’t afford a new Hypertherm so found a used 35 that the owner had kept extremely clean. He showed me his maintenance procedure and doing that and making sure the machine was out of the way from the metal spray has kept it working good. Mine is wonderful for up to 5/16” plate or so.

Knocks on wooden head to ward away the gremlins..........

I think you’ll want a “non_ contact start” and a torch that uses common consumables . I have a Cut 60 which is a cheap model it works OK , guessing it would be better with more practice and use Do you have a good size CFM air compressor ? the machine came with a regulator and small water separator but I added and inline and filter when I use it too .

I tried cheap. I had a Hypertherm35 that burned in the fire. I replaced it with a piece of junk-Lotus. The consumables didn't last but a few cuts.
Now I have a Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP. It is nice but pricey at $1,300.
I really don't think you would be happy with crap.
Although, 16ga, is easy peasy.

Mine is a 45XP also, good thing I don't remember what I payed.....

I have a cheap Lotos with the pilot arc. and must admit it does cut. I only use it to cut up "skeletons" from sheets from the cnc plasma on which I run a Hypertherm with a machine torch. Personally I wouldn't recommend anything but a Hypertherm . You may be able to find a used one reasonable. They hold their value well and even if you purchased new, you'd get a fair price if you ever decided to sell it.

Back