Plasma Cutter help

Thanks for all the info, this gives me a lot to look at. I'm sure I will be back with questions as I get closer to a purchase.

Hypertherm sounds great but the price is very steep. I have some time so I will keep an eye out for a used Hypertherm.

I researched for quite a while, went with a Hypertherm Powermax30® XP. Buy once, cry once...
Make sure you have enough CFM from your air compressor, and good filtration.

A plasma cutter with duel voltage might be something you might want , being able to do little jobs on any 20 amp 120v outlet ( as long as you can get an air supply ) could come in handy .

Buy once, cry once...
I usually am a proponent of this theory. But based on even used Hypertherm prices I might be crying for a long time. I saw a used torch (just the hand held part) for a hypertherm that cost more than some NEW full cutters! I just don't think that I will use a plasma cutter enough to justify a Hypertherm (but I will keep looking at the used market in case a good deal come along). right now, I am leaning toward the Eastwood Versa Cut 60 or 40. Both have non-contact start and the 40 is dual voltage. Dual voltage could be nice but I am unlikely to use this anywhere but my shop where I have 220. Consumables seem to be available.

BTW, I do have a pretty good compressor with an 80gal tank so not worried about Air supply.

I did see a Hypertherm 100 for only $500. It was HUGE, way to big (too much floor space) for what I need.
I'll keep looking at the used market or a good sale for now.

Before I retired I bought a Miller Spectrum® 375 X-TREME. for the shop. 120-240 volts cuts up to 3/8 steel or SS. Great machine, small and very portable, but $2000 CDN. Since my budget was unlimited, price was of no concern. I had a purchase limit of 10,000$ before fore I needed management approval.

Hypertherm, HTP, or Thermal Dynamics. The 45XP is more like $2100 brand new. An HTP Microcut 875sc is about $1700. A smaller unit like a 40A Thermal Dynamics is about $1400. HTP has a similar 40A unit for $1100.

The big difference between the cheaper ones like the Eastwood is the consumable life. I used to have an Eastwood 40A and the consumable like was pretty horrible. They use out-dated torch designs/power supplies, which is why they're so cheap.

One thing to keep in mind is consumables. You WILL be changing them out frequently. Price out: cutting tips (nozzles), electrodes, Swirl rings, shield cup body, drag cups. So you can see how much it will cost each time you replace the electrode and cutting tip. Air-water separators don't do much for plasma cutters, in terms of helping. They're better than not having anything, but there will always be some moisture in the air stream, which robs cutting power and consumable life. The only thing that has really helped me is an air drying setup to the tune of $300, specialized for plasma cutting. Clean very dry air REALLY helps maximizing consumable life, and cutting power. Dross is also minimized.

Thanks General. As I think that my usage will be sporadic, higher consumable cost will not be as big an impact as if I used it daily but I'll be sure to look at the cost. I don't have any extra special air dryer for my air system but have thought of building a DIY copper loop dryer at some point.
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

I'm a huge fan of cheap Chinese plasma cutters I bought mine at least 10 years ago on ebay for about $400 I think my friend got an eastwood one recently that works very well also I dont use it daily but I have cut hundreds of feet of plate with
When I first got it I tracked consumables a little bit it was around 60 feet of 1/4 plate for a tip Tip change is under a dollar...

Back