Peerless Power Hacksaw

Due to limited parts availability, broken castings and a few other reasons, I think I am going to be parting this one out. If Anyone needs any parts,let me know, PM me. We can work something out. They are stripped of paint. The large feed spring has a crack one one end. Most of the parts that run on pins are worn and will need parts made and holes bushed or oversized pins made. There are some good parts. The teeth on the feed are in good shape. I can make something out of the base. Man cave coffee table maybe.

So sad......
The old Peerless saw dad drug home was a tad newer than yours with a little bit larger capacity. It was 9" cut saw. It's funny how similar our saw has the same pieces damaged on them and rebuilt, mostly a hack job from a welding/brazing, as yours and tertiarjim's saw has. The one we had was very worn out, too! But we kept using it up to when we closed dads shop in 1997. That was one metal eating saw and very intimidating too!

i would like to have the oilers off it to replace the grease fittings someone installed on mine ... pm inbound

I bought one of these at an auction in the 1960s, it too had been similarly broken and welded back in the wrong place; fortunately, 'tho, Peerless was still in business and I was able to buy a new saw frame. The cause of breakage is the removal of the outboard stops to prevent the part being sawn off from rolling and getting caught between the saw frame and the machine base outboard of the vise, most likely done when trying to cut miters, which this saw is not really too good at. Mine was broken at the crank end, but same thing can happen at either end. I still have the machine and it is still a good runner. Another problem they have is wear on the pins and holes in the feed ratchets; I reamed out the holes and made oversize pins, and it feeds much better than before.

Sorry that it's not going to be repaired. At least some parts will help other machines run.

The work I did do was Cleanup and disassembly. The base is going to be used for another machine base. I am not going to scrap any small parts for quite awhile in case someone needs something in the future. I was contacted by a couple members for spare parts so this machine will do some good. I found another crack in the saw frame and basically discovered another previous weld. Both sides were broken on one end. Peerless does still have some parts including a unmachined saw frame casting but I cannot afford it. They also have parts to enable you to convert the vise to allow some miters.

I bought one of these at an auction in the 1960s, it too had been similarly broken and welded back in the wrong place; fortunately, 'tho, Peerless was still in business and I was able to buy a new saw frame. The cause of breakage is the removal of the outboard stops to prevent the part being sawn off from rolling and getting caught between the saw frame and the machine base outboard of the vise, most likely done when trying to cut miters, which this saw is not really too good at. Mine was broken at the crank end, but same thing can happen at either end. I still have the machine and it is still a good runner. Another problem they have is wear on the pins and holes in the feed ratchets; I reamed out the holes and made oversize pins, and it feeds much better than before.
This explains a lot on this machine. With the busted out T slot on this one, I would guess the same thing happened on it. All the feed pins and bores need work on this one as well. The teeth on the feed are in pretty good shape as well.

The old Peerless saw dad had in his shop was beyond worn out. It had the same place busted out on the frame as you show in your pics. The old worn out saw still cut and hack away on anything you put in it!

Can someone tell me how to send a PM to Ski? I need the top v-grooved piece the blade frame slides on, and about half of the feed mechanism.
Chuck

Can someone tell me how to send a PM to Ski?

Welcome Aboard urmacher!

Just click on his user name on the left, and at the bottom of the popup is Start A Conversation button

Back