Past due oil change

I can probably drain the front bearing by removing the sight glass. the rear I suspect I will have to remove the rear seal.
Curious, why would there be a difference between the front and rear resi's?

Yes there is a drain on the gear box directly below the fill plug marked oil. No drain that I can find for the spindle bearings. I can probably drain the front bearing by removing the sight glass. the rear I suspect I will have to remove the rear seal.
That is interesting my lathe has a grease zerk on the chuck side and just a hole on the lock nut side.
Guess they are different head stocks.
I tried to grease it but it seems to be plugged. Must have been a few ways to lube these head stocks.
It would not surprise me to disassemble the headstock and find the path blocked. There should be a path- but just knowing how tapered roller bearing races are made it would be hard for where the hole in the casting on my lathe is to end up at the correct place for a clear shot at the outside edge of the race so it can get into the rollers.
I have pulled mower deck spindles apart that had grease zerks that wore out with greasing only to find sealed ball bearings.
Unfortunately My headstock does not have any oil level sight glasses only the change box.

Last edited:
They do not seem to be connected. I can try putting more oil in the rear to see if the level goes up in the sight glass?
They aren't connected. I was curious about trying to drain the rear by removing the spindle seal.

I have not attempted to remove the site glass yet, but I did pry on it. It appears to be pressed in not threaded. I assume the O-ring holds it in place. Of course, other sight glasses on the same machine are different sizes.!?*

Looks like they went up a buck or two but here are the ones that fit my machine perfectly.

I pryed the glass out of the apron as I had already emptied it . It appears the be the same as you suggested above. The neck on the clear part measures ~1" and there is a rubber grommet still in the hole on the apron.
Is this the same type as you suggested? How do they size these things? Is 29MM the size of the hole where it is installed?

Last edited:
I am going to remove the seal to drain the rear bearing and hope I can remove the inner race and get a look at it. Today I loosened the spider nut and broke the screws loose on the seal flange. I was surprised how tight the nut was on. I assume the nut is loading the bearing. If this is true can someone suggest a procedure for reinstalling it?

Back