Past due oil change

You need to pull the sight glass to drain these types of machines.
Mine has pipe plugs, you can see the nipples I added. The bottom of the reservoir is quite a bit lower than the sight glass.
IMG_8274.jpeg

The OP should know that the plastic sight glass is brittle and prone to breaking. I had to make new ones out of acrylic while the hole was plugged with a temporary lump of something!

Amazon is wonderful, I found the exact sight glass used in my 1237 for $14 for 4 of them.

Amazon is wonderful, I found the exact sight glass used in my 1237 for $14 for 4 of them.
I still feel there should be a drain plug. Could it be covered with filler and paint? I would inspect the area where it should be with a weak magnet or a pick ( if you’re not too concerned about the paint).

You need to pull the sight glass to drain these types of machines.
There is no sight glass on the rear bearing and as far as I can tell the two are not connected. You would think there would be a galley sump or some other connection between the front and rear bearings..

I still feel there should be a drain plug. Could it be covered with filler and paint? I would inspect the area where it should be with a weak magnet or a pick ( if you’re not too concerned about the paint).
I am in the process of painting now the rear is the last area. I will take another look but for now I do not see a plug. The quick change has a plug, and you can see oil weeping around it's perimeter making it easy to see.

No Sir, says so in the manual to pull the sight plugs.

I finally purchased 5gal of Mobile DTE ISO46 Circulating oil. This will be a lifetime supply for me. This takes me back to my original question "how do you drain and fill the headstock". The owner's manual has what looks like a hand drawn picture pointing to two holes over the spindle bearings. I purchased a large syringe to fill from there but there is no drain hole.?
The quick change has a fill and drain plug. Nothing on the apron but removing the forward/reverse lever screws drained it.
Does anyone have one of these machines and has changed the oil?
I don't think you do. Maybe there should be grease fittings for the spindle bearings and back gear shaft?. Your head stock is just like my 12 24.
The change gear fill Is visible just below the electric cable in the 3rd pic. I would look closely under the change gear box for a recessed allen screw.

I don't think you do. Maybe there should be grease fittings for the spindle bearings and back gear shaft?. Your head stock is just like my 12 24.
The change gear fill Is visible just below the electric cable in the 3rd pic. I would look closely under the change gear box for a recessed allen screw.
Yes there is a drain on the gear box directly below the fill plug marked oil. No drain that I can find for the spindle bearings. I can probably drain the front bearing by removing the sight glass. the rear I suspect I will have to remove the rear seal.

Back