Past due oil change

trainman2

Registered
Registered
I have an Enco 12/36 model 110-2031 built 1991 and have never changed the oil. This is a hobby lathe and 30yrs does not truly reflect the hours on the machine but it is due for a change. With that said one reason for not changing it is that I cannot find a drain plug. for that matter there is no fill plug either just oil holes over each end of the spindle. Someone suggested removing the site glass to drain the headstock. I tried prying on it with knife and it moved like it might be pressed in with an O-ring which would be great.
The next question is what type of oil to use. The owner's manual list "SSU 100'F 160" not sure what this is. Can someone suggest something I can order via McMaster?

Have you pulled the cover off on the drive side end and looked for the drain plug? I have a similar lathe, and that's where the drain is. Also check the apron for a drain as well.

For oil, you need "R&O Turbine oil." I think you need what's referrured to as 165/32 oil, like Mobile DTE Lite. That's what I'm using in my machine.

This may help...

Last edited:
That's 160 Saybolt units at 100F... a viscosity spec. If that's the only requirement, it's wide open. ISO 46 detergent free fits the bill.

Backup_200107_viscosity_table_2.gif

Mobile DTE Lite (32) is 160 SSU @ 100F
Mobile DTE Medium (46) is 200 SSU @ 100F

The owner's manual list "SSU 100'F 160" not sure what this is.

As said above, that's engineer speak for 160 Saybolt Seconds, Universal at 100 degrees F. Rock solid in the ISO 32 territory, or ISO 46 would be fine in the desert. Or probably Florida. But you're solid enough in the range, were it me, and were I there, I'd probably opt for the ISO 32.

The Mobil DTE light that was recommended is an excellent product all around. Very limited in it's scope, don't put it in everything.... but very recommendable where it fits. They're proud of it though.

Hydraulic oil, ISO 32, AW or just R&O. Plain hydraulic oil though, stay out of the "tractor fluids",

Mcmaster is not the easiest place to purchase those. (Well, it is very easy, after you do all the legwork to mortgage your house...). The last time I "internetted" oil, it still cost a premium (because: you're shipping oil...), it was something like half as much for the same thing (DTE light) from Amazon. Do shop around. Lots of online retailers "will" sell you oil, not many "want to" sell you oil....

What if anything is the difference between a product labeled Gear oil and Hydraulic oil? Should I be looking for ISO46 on the label?

As mentioned, you should be looking for ISO32 R&O oil. Not hydraulic oil, which is different. You can get it on eBay for about $200/5 gallons. Search "mobile DTE Lite". Phillips 66 has an equivalent version R&O 32 oil which is a little cheaper than the Mobile.

What if anything is the difference between a product labeled Gear oil and Hydraulic oil?

Totally different animals Gear oil is not what you want. (Yes, I know you have gears, but they're talking about a whole different world). You want an circulating oil, or a dirt simple hydraulic oil. Basically, for lack of interest on reading the technical papers on every brand of every type, rule out all other hydraulic oils besides R&O and AW. If the bottle/jug/pail implies any feature beyond those two, you don't want it.

Should I be looking for ISO46 on the label?

ISO 46 is a viscosity rating. It's not really the same, but for conversational purposes, If it were engine oil of equal "thickness", you'd call it SAE 20

I still say you'd be better off with an ISO 32 as it' more solidly in the range you're looking for (you don't run the lathe at just one temperature...), but ISO 46 won't hurt it a bit.

With no absolutes implied, TYPICALLY the bottle will more than likely say (in my order of preference)
Circulating oils will have a brand name for their product, and an ISO grade (ISO 32, ISO 46) somewhere, usually on the front.
R&O hydraulic will typically say R&O hydraulic on the front, and you'll typically be reading the back somewhere to see the ISO grade (viscosity).
AW will be labeled as AW32/AW46.

Are you still picking through McMaster? Considering other web sites? Poking locally? If you're considering local, what stores are close to you? Tractor Supply, Farm and Family, Home Depot, Lowes?

I have Tractor Supply and Home Depot nearby. Still picking around on Ebay/Amazon but I do not need 5gal's. Also, the owner's manual recommends two different grades. SSU169 for the headstock/quick change and SSU320 for the apron. No mention of capacity probably <1qt. for each.
So, the keywords I am looking for are;
ISO 32 or 46/SAE20 and Circulating oil.

The stuff you need is categorized as "R&O Turbine oil". Check google for different brands. ISO 32 is the recommended weight.

Regarding quantity, I was surprised by how much oil my machine took. I've got a Central Machinery TD-1236E, with enclosed threading gearbox (which increased the oil need.)

Just found this...looks like a great deal.

Back