Online metal supply

I buy form Onlinemetals. But mainly things I can't get from a local steel supplier. They are a division of a larger distributor so I would think you get the real thing. They also offer certificates for the material. I try to use their discount deals and they send them to their customers so you don't have to search on-line. They have a very good selection of alloys, sizes etc.

I love speedy metals too but I show up in person.... They have the best prices I always call them first...

Gave them a go once. Took longer and cost more than online metals. I guess if you're not in the midwest you're out of luck.

I'm curious about metal supermarkets - I drove by one while in MA checking out a CraigsList ad. Can't tell what their prices are because their online ordering app is borked.

Metal supermarket is a rip-off. I’m fortunate to have plenty metal suppliers here in Chicago. I went to metal supermarket once. I bought something from their cutoff bin price was better but still at a premium. Got some prices on sheet stock and was three times the price as a direct supplier. Better luck going through eBay.

I am not much of buyer but I find http://www.speedymetals.com are cheapest. I have bought mostly aluminum (tubes, flats, round bars, all in 6061 grade) and some brass. My comparison includes shipping costs.

HTH
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I just placed a $600 order with speedy metals. I usually use stoner metals on Ebay but I wanted 72" lengths and he didn't have any listed.

I'm curiuos to see how long it will take them to get my order to me. Stoner takes longer than I'd like to get things shipped.

I just placed a $600 order with speedy metals. I usually use stoner metals on Ebay but I wanted 72" lengths and he didn't have any listed.

I'm curiuos to see how long it will take them to get my order to me. Stoner takes longer than I'd like to get things shipped.

They shouldn't take very long to ship it, They dont take walkins after 12PM, then they spend the rest of the day filling online orders and loading large order trucks...

Bingo! Thank you, D. Exactly whom I was looking for.

I've used both Hobbykits and Online metals.

For medium small amounts online metals offers a 10-12" size at a discount over a full foot (certainly short left over bits). The price is quite a bit less than the Hobbykits 12" price. Online also offers larger diameters and a wider variety of materials. The maximum diameter at Hobbykits is 2" in most cases.

Hobbykits is nice when you just need a small amount though since they offer a 6" size.

Shipping is the big one though, Hobbykits uses USPS flat rate boxes which can be a big savings with a small (but heavy) order. You really need to game the weight with Online metals to get the absolute best price and you save more by making largish purchases just short of bumping into the next weight class for shipping.

They shouldn't take very long to ship it, They dont take walkins after 12PM, then they spend the rest of the day filling online orders and loading large order trucks...

They shipped today. I ordered Sunday evening so 3 days to ship which isn't bad. Tracking says I'll get it Monday the 1st.

They shipped today. I ordered Sunday evening so 3 days to ship which isn't bad. Tracking says I'll get it Monday the 1st.

That's pretty different from my experience - took almost two weeks to get the shipment. Probably wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for "Speedy" being in the name and an order placed a few days later from Online Metals arriving first :)

I've bought from Online metals, speedy metals, ebay and amazon. If you can find what you want, Ebay or Amazon are the way to go, but selection can be limmited. Online had decent selection and usualy better ovrall price than Speedy does. Speedy carries stuff that I havn't found anywhere else, like cast iron Durabar and very large cross section steel and aluminum bar stock.

Back