Online metal supply

I am with all of you, Shipping is unreal 45$ shipping for 35$ piece is ridiculous. Oh well !!

Call them on the phone and gripe about the shipping. You might be able to talk them down. I was able to get Speedy to ship via Spee-Dee (a regional shipper) for a quarter of what UPS wanted.

Being in Cincinnati, Ohio, I not only get hit with high shipping from Online Metal Supply but also state sales tax!
There use to be several metal supply places around town but most are gone or only do large industrial sales. The local Metal Supermarket's prices are super high, I always walk away feeling like I've been taken to the cleaners. Local scrap metal yards seem to be "buy only" now. For structural shapes I have had good luck with the local American Metal Supply, they sell seconds and off spec such as square tubing that has corners that are not quite 90*.
http://amsupplyco.com/index.html

My longtime favorite has been DAVID HIRSCHBERG STEEL & RECYCLING CENTER, they have been around for 100 years. They use to be pretty open to wandering around their yard to find what you need but that has been tightened up in recent years. Earlier this summer the company owner was kidnapped at gunpoint by a couple of meth heads and forced to withdraw thousands of dollars from a bank, then they shot him dead! They were caught a few days later, everyone was on the lookout for them as the owner was very well liked in the community.

Another good source that I have used is Aircraft Spruce.

I like Onlinemetals. I just order enough at one time so the shipping doesn't seem so bad, and they email coupons for as much as 20% off. I just received an order and one of the pieces of 3" round 316SS was shorter than ordered so they are shipping out another piece and told me to keep the short one... Great customer service.

Hate to start a new thread, so reviving an this older one on the topic.

Someone had recommended a small online supplier of metal and plastic focused on the hobbyist. It was somewhere in the midwest. It was either someone on this forum or mrpete222 on Youtube; but I can't find the information. At the time I bookmarked the site, but lived in a large city with local suppliers. Now that I am in a much smaller midwest city, I can't find the bookmark and would like to patronize a company that caters to the home gamer, like myself.

Anyone know of the place I am referring?

yeah but I can't remember the name.

I like Speedy because I can get stuff shipped via Spee-Dee Delivery for about 1/4 what UPS charges but that's only available here in the upper Midwest.

I love speedy metals too but I show up in person.... They have the best prices I always call them first...

Back