Online metal supply

My favorite place to order metal online is of course McMaster-Carr if I place the order before 3PM it will usually show up the very next day. :cool:

But I only order from McMaster-Carr if I can't find what I want at Alro, speedymetals or Federal Pipe & Supply....
McMaster-Carr has a very nice selection of Bronze alloys and tool steels.... 863 Bronze is the best!

Speaking of Alro why is it that every piece I try to price out there is x10 higher than anywhere else? Do you need to open an account or something?

My favorite place to order metal online is of course McMaster-Carr if I place the order before 3PM it will usually show up the very next day. :cool:

What I like about McMaster-Carr is being able to order a small (6") piece of tool steel for something like five bucks and have it arrive the next day. With the 12" and under lengths, shipping is quite cheap.

I believe $7 is their minimum shipping charge no matter what the size.

Just saw this, might be of interest. There's another thread started by FLguy about a 20% off sale currently at Discount Steel:

I'm a fan of BuyMetal.com. Good prices and $15 flat rate shipping under 70 lbs

Speaking of Alro why is it that every piece I try to price out there is x10 higher than anywhere else? Do you need to open an account or something?

With Alro you need to find one of their Metal Outlet stores if you go to a big warehouse they will treat you like crap if your not a big business with a huge order. I love the Alro Metal Outlet stores they usually sell cut offs and scraps drops by the pound for almost nothing....

To avoid shipping charges, you might check to see if there is a Metal Suppermarkets (Metalsupermarkets.com) in your area. I've done a little business with them and they seemed real reasonable on price. They have a "cut off" area where you can buy cut offs at reduced price, but I think it's mostly 1018. Also, there was no cut off charge, at least for the piece of sheet metal I bought.

Thanks for mentioning them! I just found out I have one within driving distance!

Bill_729

i have been using amazon for most of my metal. You can get brass, aluminum, Acetal and most kinds of metal. If you’re a prime member shipping is free.

Back