Online metal supply

I am not much of buyer but I find http://www.speedymetals.com are cheapest. I have bought mostly aluminum (tubes, flats, round bars, all in 6061 grade) and some brass. My comparison includes shipping costs.

HTH
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I like Speedy because I can get stuff shipped via Spee-Dee Delivery for about 1/4 what UPS charges but that's only available here in the upper Midwest.

Personally I buy from ebay quite a bit. I usually look for "free shipping" in the ad. Or ask the seller to combine shipping from different auctions. Most are happy to do so.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but nothing is really free in life. And the “Free Shipping” slogan on eBay is a very deceiving marketing scam. Either the buyer and or the seller is going to pay for that shipping charge, the shipper ain’t gonna do it for free! Chances are the seller is going to jack up the price on his stuff to cover for the shipping cost and pass it on to the buyer. And contrary to popular thinking, eBay and PayPal get their fees in shipping charges too! Boy is that chicken ****. But, combined shipping is a good thing and should be offered…Good Luck

i live close to you. i use northcoast metal mart (216) 398-6711 they have helped me on multiple occasions, What is the hardware store you mention?

Hemly Hardware. They are located in Montville, ohio. About half an hour, from where I live. They buy out machine shops so sometimes you can even find used machinery.

Hi,

I recently spent time making a lot of calls for material. I found out that Online Metals is actually owned by Thyssen-Krupp which is a large german/european metal company. They just use Online Metals to sell off their smaller remnants and tap into the online and discounted metal market. Also, if you call Thyssen-Krupp (a US office) sales office and ask the sales person for a "discount code" they may be able to give you one for a small discount (5%-10%).
First call them and ask what the minimum buy is for your material, it will obviously be a too large for your smaller project. Then ask if Online Metals has it and they can provide a discount code. A sales person will likely accommodate you.
Sometimes paying a little more for what you want is worth it. Scrounging for material is a fun sport at times but I would rather be machining and tooling rather than be searching for material.
Let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Tom

I have purchased from Online Metal Supply, the prices seemed OK, but I thought the shipping was a bit high. I also use Metal Supermarkets, they have a Portland branch, a little bit high priced, but they will cut a 1 inch piece off of a bar for you.

I second Jim's response.

Exact Metals on eBay used to have a great deal where you could buy whatever you wanted (esp. 12in or less) and as long as it all physically fit in a flat rate box, you only paid one charge. Sadly, they seem to have left eBay, ironically before I got round to spending any money with them, in favour of setting up their own website. Shipping charges are now higher, material costs haven't gone down.

For one off purchases, free shipping or not is irrelevant as it's the total cost people compare. If you're buying more than one lot, sure it makes sense to go with someone who combines, but not all of them do. I've stayed away from the online shops (Speedy Metal etc) as their shipping just kills it for small amounts - $12 to send a $10 piece of steel, no thanks.

I often buy from Exact Metal on ebay, as their shipping is more reasonable.
I loved Exact Metals, but they seem to have fallen off the surface of the Earth. It shows "No longer a registered user".

You might check in your Yellow Pages to see if there are any Screw Machine Shops in your area. Call and ask if you can have or buy some of their bar ends. Sizes might run from under 7/16" to over 4", depending on the capability of their machines. You might score hex or even square material. Of course, if you are looking for a particular alloy or diameter, chances will be slim. However, if you just want some material to throw in your "I can make it out of this" box, they might be just the ticket.

I am with all of you, Shipping is unreal 45$ shipping for 35$ piece is ridiculous. Oh well !!

Back