old & vintage machine tool

Wooooo, I see some aircraft cylinders on the back shelves...tell us about them.

This shop belongs to my father-in-law he is a diesel mechanic and pilot who works on his own plane. On the side is a small machine shop with two lathes two knee mills and an end mill. He has an air boat someone brought in for him to rebuild the engine.

I guess there's now point in posting a"how to lap and glue belts so you don't have to listen to the "flap- flap"............BLJHB.

Incidentally, there is a difference between conserving and restoring. Conserving is reworking something enough to make it tolerably (tolerances) useable. Restoring means returning it to factory specs including color and accessories. Two different types of people. Both are good, just very different. I appreciate the battle scars, as long as they don't impede safe and accurate function.

Then there are those of us who scrounge old junkers and hack away at them to turn them into something they were never meant to be...

Re: old & vintage machine tool

Most of my machines are of the old cast iron and early vintage. Atlas, Southbend, Bridgeport, Lebond.

Love restoring these machines!

- - - Updated - - -

Most of my machines are of the old cast iron and early vintage. Atlas, Southbend, Bridgeport, Lebond.

Love restoring these machines!

Then there are those of us who scrounge old junkers and hack away at them to turn them into something they were never meant to be...

John--I definately fit into this group and enjoy it--I wonder how many others fit into this group??--Dave :thinking::thinking:

What year qualifies as vintage? I have a stable of machines from the 60's that are in use that are a mix of English, Swedish and German made.

Paul.

My oldest mathine is ~1890, my newest about 2009, so about a 120 year span. Oldest is an L.W. Pond planer, most recent is either the HF 13x40 lathe or the Tormach mill. I also have another larger planer in the 1910-1930 vintage and a couple of lineshaft shapers, as well as some of 1930+ Atlas tools. They are in various states of running and repair.

My oldest mathine is ~1890, my newest about 2009, so about a 120 year span. Oldest is an L.W. Pond planer, most recent is either the HF 13x40 lathe or the Tormach mill. I also have another larger planer in the 1910-1930 vintage and a couple of lineshaft shapers, as well as some of 1930+ Atlas tools. They are in various states of running and repair.

could you put some pictures of your two old planers in a thread???---would like to see them---Dave

I run an old Springfield lathe that has a 3 phase motor now. I use it
as a dedicated collet lathe (5c) for small parts mostly. The vintage is unknown
but I would guess it was made in the 20s or 30s.

Back