old & vintage machine tool

core-oil

Active User
Registered
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone on the forum, who is into the older vintage machine tools, as well as modern stuff, &do you use these old girls in your shop
By this i mean classic machinery, Belt driven machine tools By the great United States , British & European makers of some years back.

Newest machine in my shop is a 1953 all the rest are from the 1940s one from 39 and one lather over 100 years old. And they all get used.

Paul

Yep, while I am definitely a noob (been at this welding / machining thing for less than 10 years), my wood working (30 years) and metal working machines have ALL been salvaged. My most recent find is an 18x24 lapping table which was donated to my "Garage of Misfit Tools (do you recall the island of misfit toys?). Now sitting next to my 1926 Gisholt Turret Lathe which I am working on "conserving". My retirement goal (7 years out) is to be good enough to reliably help others out conserving and restoring their salvage tools and tractors.

Incidentally, there is a difference between conserving and restoring. Conserving is reworking something enough to make it tolerably (tolerances) useable. Restoring means returning it to factory specs including color and accessories. Two different types of people. Both are good, just very different. I appreciate the battle scars, as long as they don't impede safe and accurate function.

Yeah, I have a 1946 Craftsman 12" Lathe. It is nice to have something in the shop older than I am.

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone on the forum, who is into the older vintage machine tools, as well as modern stuff, &do you use these old girls in your shop
By this i mean classic machinery, Belt driven machine tools By the great United States , British & European makers of some years back.

core-oil,
Welcome to the forum. You will find a friendly bunch here.

Yes, I am "old & vintage machine tool"s is a passion of mine. Forum member, Charley Davidson, called my shop an orphanage said I was always bringing home old machines so I added the second line to my signature.

Most of the macinines I care for are older American iron. The oldest is a Hendey 15" friction drive shaper. Not used often but is ready and willing when needed. Best I can tell it is around a 100 years old and has been converted to a local-motor/belt drive. Notice that I said most since I am not against other manufacturers if of good quality machines. I also care for a couple of Taiwan machines from the late seventies.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Yep, I have two hendey lathes both leather belt driven one from late 1897-98 the other was purchased wew in 1928 by a trade school in central NY state near-by were I lived.
My shaper is from the late 1950's and my Bridgeport 1965 and came from schools in Long island NY.

George

Yup, love the old stuff.

My Logan lathe dates back to July of 1941. My Keller 5HD power hacksaw is a bit newer, it comes (I am guessing) from the mid 60's, and my Clausing 8520 mill dates back to the mid 60's as well (once again, an educated guess).

Granted, my machines are not as old as some of the old iron that some of the guys have here, but it is all American made, heavy iron. Lots of cast iron, very little aluminum. I can still make replacement parts for them when needed. They still bleed grease and oil, and I love the "tick -- tick -- tick" of the leather flat belt on the lathe, as well as the back and forth motion of the power hacksaw. Not fast, but still all quite accurate. And, they leave plenty of time for drinking coffee, too.

:coffeebreak:

What is the serial number on your clausing 8520? I'll see if I can date it for you.

"Billy G" :))

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the serial number on your clausing 8520? I'll dee if I can date it for you.

"Billy G" :))

Thanks Bill! It's serial number 4930.

It was sold by Alenco Tool and Supply in Chicago IL. Well, that's the only tag on it, no other holes from tag mounting rivets, so I suspect that they were the original seller. Don't know how many people owned it before me, two for sure.

Usually 8520s have two zeros at the beginning of the serial number. Give me a couple of days I will find that one for you. Mine is 006246.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Back