old & vintage machine tool

Usually 8520s have two zeros at the beginning of the serial number. Give me a couple of days I will find that one for you. Mine is 006246.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Mine has the two leading zeros also, I just omitted them. 004930

AHA, it's the old omit trick. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: No problamo at this end. I will get over to Franks place tomorrow and see if he has that one listed. At least an above and below to get close.

"Billy G" :))

Most all my stuff is old, mostly from the 40's. I just pick stuff up when it comes along. I like to hear and see the old flat belts running. I would love to have an overhead belt line. Although my stuff is old it all works fine. I have 2 9inch SB, a 16inch SB, a Delta toolmaker grinder, a Silver manufacturing camelback drill, and a lot of newer machines. Can't have to many.

The lovely old American iron you guys have sounds like heaven has came down in a world of insanity, chaos & long lost skill & common sense
The names you guys quote are ringing in my head , Milwaukie, Hendey , Silver Gisholt SB. etc, All first class pedigree machines known the world over More power to all your arms, keeping the flame of Excellence, Elegance,& Quality burning, I only wish i was nearer to see them,

Now for my own list of old iron-- I have the following nice vintage plant.

My big slotting or vertical shaping m/c 6 stroke" Denham of Halifax flat belt drive 1943/44
Colchester lathe Belt drive o/h drive 3 step cone screwcutting 1925 approx
Holbrook 8" centre height lathe screwcutting, taper turning Lodge & Shipley pattern headstock
she was built at the Holbrook works at Stratford in London (lovely machine) 1946 Approx.
20"stroke x 6"x6" double column Tom Senior planing machine (hand powered) 1929/30 approx
Nice 6" stroke No2 size adept power shaping m/c travelling head bought by my father for me 1959
My little BCA jig borer 1947 i think
An old 3&1/2" centre height Faircut of Sheffield lathe 1930?
10" stroke pillar shaper by New Realm (Royal) 1958

The other of my machine tools are more modern, My Myford super 7 1970 M/c.
A nice little Boley & Leinen clock &watch lathe with attachments 1968

I guess guys the Good Lord, has blest me greatly in my time on this earth, As he has allowed me recently to acquire the old Colchester lathe of the pattern i was taught to use when iwas 15 years of age approx 58 years ago.

AHA, it's the old omit trick. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: No problamo at this end. I will get over to Franks place tomorrow and see if he has that one listed. At least an above and below to get close.

"Billy G" :))

I just KNEW I couldn't fool you, Bill. You're just too smart for me. That or maybe I've killed too many brain cells over the years. :beerdrinkers:

Thanks in advance for looking into that for me. I've always wondered just how old it was, especially since I don't know just what years Clausing made the 8520, but judging from various aspects of the machine I was guessing that they maybe started making them in the mid 60's. I could be way off on that, though.

I'm just getting into the home shop stuff but I am sporting some oldies so far. 1942 monarch EE and just unloaded my surface grinder today. It's a Reid from the 1920's. That thing must weigh at least 700 lbs.

Well let's see....

SB 9A 1950ish
Atlas 618 1950s
Atlas 7 shaper 1937
Atlas 7B shaper 1950s
SB 7 shaper 1950s
Millrite Powermatic mill 1979.

I also admit to having several Asian machines.

I have what I can afford.

11" Rockwell late 60's

7" South Bend Shaper 60's

Fray 10RH 50's

Old is good if the was taken care of or not used much.

RWilliams

I inherited a Clausing 100 MK 3, started learning how to use it 65 years ago, still learning and enjoy every minute of the time spent.

I believe the lathe was manufactured in the late 1930s or early 1940s. It was bought from a WWII defense contractor by my father in 1946.

I have repaired a Barnes No. 5 machine. It was treadle powered but has been converted to electric motor. My son in law has it now.

Have a good day

Ray

I also have a few of these oldies.

Southbend 9B 1941

Southbend 10L 1942

Atlas 6 1950's

Buffalo Drill Press late 40's

Back