old & vintage machine tool

Well let's see....

SB 9A 1950ish GONE to new home
Atlas 618 1950s GONE to new home
Atlas 7 shaper 1937
Atlas 7B shaper 1950s
SB 7 shaper 1950s (basket case)
Millrite Powermatic mill 1979.

Currently rebuilding an early Wade 8x24 precision lathe. Very cool benchtop comparable to a Rivett. This is in a spot that was briefly occupied by a HF 9x20 (and good riddance!).

Also working on a 1950s Logan 9"

IMG_3562.JPG wade 8x20 rev.jpg

I found that obsolete tools were inexpensive yet versatile many years ago. I still use my grandfather's Civil War era cabinet making tools. A real workhorse in my shop is a 120+ year old Acme turret lathe, and I cut fire wood with a buzz saw powered by a 1922 Hercules hit/miss engine. The list goes on. Here's to well built analog tech!

Speaking of old saw rigs, Stephen, here's my old 5HP Galloway I use routinely for bucking
up firewood. The vintage is 1920 or so and has a low voltage ignition system. It starts
easily and is very dependable. It was a project and required welding up a broken head
and general setup as a saw rig. I like to see old saw rig photos so thought that those
of you with similar interest might enjoy it as well. It's what makes the work of firewood
cutting actually fun!

Also, Welcome to the Hobby Machinist forum!

Burt

sawrig.jpg

It's what makes the work of firewood cutting actually fun!

Right: Here's one of me cutting wood, and another of one of my demo's on the old wood lathe on the portable line shaft

firewood.jpg 2013 May.JPG SFH MBL.JPG

Burt: Nice job on the Galloway! I had the T&M for more than 30 years before I even found out who made it, the Hercules is a bit more common.

You mentioned home made band saw: here's mine--(both of them)

That's my accomplice on the metal cutter making blanks for her black smith demonstration

13MKsaw.JPG

Last edited:
Well let's see....

SB 9A 1950ish
Atlas 618 1950s
Atlas 7 shaper 1937
Atlas 7B shaper 1950s
SB 7 shaper 1950s

I also admit to having several Asian machines.

UPDATED list
Wade lathe 1918 project
Atlas 7 shaper 1937
Atlas 7B shaper 1950s
Logan 9" 1962. Project
Centex (Rockwell) mill 1959
logan Powermatic 11" lathe
logan Powermatic 12" lathe

...and a Grizzly 12x37 lathe

so everything is 35 to 95 years old except the Grizzly

Got a 1926 Hendey gear head lathe, a 1930's vintage 9" Atlas lathe, and a SiPP sensitive drill press from about 1915.

Love this old stuff!

Steve.

I had a Garvin horizontal mill(1890's) that I used for a number of years. Some one offered me a price I could not refuse. I also had a Greenfield tool and die grinder I restore that I have since sold. I love to restore older wood and metal working tools.

Might as well keep this post going!!!
Cincinati 16 in back geared shaper. Not real sure maybe around 1910
2. 820 Logan lathes from late 40s
Gorton 9- k mill. 54 I think
A huge peerless power hack saw 40s. Or 50s ?
A small power hack saw. Old ?
Illiinois tool works power die filler War tag I guess mid 40s?
2. Old rock well drill presses

As you see I don't have much modern stuff

Scruffy

Core-oil - the design, functionality and sheer quality of old machine tools never ceases to amaze me. They also have a presence that newer machines lack - as though they somehow have a 'memory' of everyone who has used them and all of the work they have seen. Owning them is a privilege which is to be repaid by making sure they are kept in working condition, and my limited experience so far is that if we do, they don't let us down.

Back