Old School

You might be Old School if you remember being kept after school and made to clean the erasers and blackboard and then sweep the floor,

I didn't have to sweep, but I sure remember cleaning erasers and washing (slate) blackboards. I had another elementary school teacher who would keep you after school, and give you a math problem: 5 numbers multiplied by 5 numbers. Do the multiplication, and then prove your answer by long division. Show your work. And in the 50s, no calculators, of course.

I hated it then, but I still have the ability to do arithmetic!

My first secretary used a MANUAL typewriter, and still could type at 90+ words per minute on it.
Clapping (cleaning) erasers. In third grade, we were supposed to open the second story windows and reach out as far as we could
to clap them together so that the chalk dust didn't come back into the classroom. Thank you Mrs. Sprague.

You might be Old School if you ever made a Zip gun out of an auto antenna.

Yea, out the second story window but then they found the chalk dust where we use the building, more problems, And I still own one of those Underwood typewriters. done use it any more but I still own it.

I wonder if all that chalk dust we inhaled was bad for us? Where was OSHA when we needed them? :dunno:

OSHA did not apply to students, We were there to be abused. Remember the wooden paddles that teachers could use on students.
and lived in a small town so parents knew before I even got home.

I wonder if all that chalk dust we inhaled was bad for us? Where was OSHA when we needed them? :dunno:

Nah, just a good source of calcium.o_O
Remember chalking the sidewalks with messages, art, etc. Had to go back to apologize and clean off the sidewalk several times.

You might be Old School if you ever put a penny on the railroad track and watched it get squished as a STEAM locomotive pulling a long train stormed by.

You might be Old School if you ever put a penny on the railroad track and watched it get squished as a STEAM locomotive pulling a long train stormed by.
You might be old school if you forgot you used to do this.

Back