Old School

You might be Old School if you used a slingshot to kill robins in the backyard which your mother would breast out and cook with polenta for dinner.

I haven't had Robin Pie in years. State bird here in Ct. Can't shoot them. The breast has two nice pieces of white meat, the rest you throw away. Fantastic eating.

"Billy G"

You might be old school if you gave a fish a first name ie. ole croaker and you fish for him every year and still haven't caught him yet.

You might be Old School if you remember Watching Spin and Marty, and the Hardy Boys after getting TV. Mike

Don't recall the sawdust, but do remember banana skins, to quieten it down also in the diff.

Never knew about the banana skins, but I did pull a trans apart once and found it packed with sawdust. And while were talking about cars, you might be old school if
your car had the high/low beam switch on the floor.

Edit: oops, sorry gonzo, didn't see you mentioned this one.

Vacuum Tube. My go to volt meter is a Heathkit VTVM.

You might just be old school if you remember the Winking Eye on the radio front. It was green and when it was fully closed you were on frequency. Also you might be old school if you had a TV with a round picture tube.

You might be old school if you can remember when Doctors made house calls (FOR FREE)

And you might be old school if you built Heathkits.

I did, I did, I did, I built the Heathkit Vacuum Tube tester. Still have that to.

"Billy G"

I built a VTVM too, though, sadly I no longer have it. I also build a dwell/tachometer kit that I used for years. Heathkit made great kits.

Last edited:
Bought a new tool box, when migrating from the old one I keep finding old school tools, have 2 sets of Starrett tool makers buttons in pristine shape, anyone that wants them they are free plus postage, I know that collectors like these type of tools.

This is not an Ad just an offer of antique tools for "free" (Postage). I have no use for them, the next time that they are moved will be to the scrap bin.

I dislike scrapping tools even those that will never be used.
PM sent, Have not seen those in years, since most of my tools were stolen years ago.

Heathkit! don't get me stated on Heathkit
Lets see, First was a vacuum tube volt meter], still have.
Two transistor testers.
Audio frequency generator
RF generator
Two radios
Oscilloscope that my nephew still has
4 channel oscilloscope generator/switch for above. It really worked good
Three power supples
and I'm sure a half a dozen other kits that I can't squeeze out of my old neurons at the moment.
whoops, Stereo amplifier and preamplifier
I even put together a Heathkit color TV set. My landlord got it for his son and after a year brought it to me to 'finish" i.e. rebuild from the start.
I got 2 months rent from him for the completed set.
All of these were before I turned 20 and started finding Hewlett Packard, Tektronix, General Radio equipment. No assembly required. And quality
far above the Heathkits.
I've also put together 4 Hafler 200 amplifiers from their kit. I've rebuilt them since and still use them.
OK enough

Chuck the grumpy OLD guy

Back