Old School

Took me awhile before I learned the wet process and was able to dry it between two panes of glass and break it up into grains. Back then (before the webnet) it took a lot of research at a place they called a "library". If you are Old School you might know what a library is.

You might be Old School if you shave with a straight razor and know what a strop is.

Heck, even a "safety" razor is old school these days, although I hear it's making a come back.

Ok, I'll admit I didn't read all 5 pages, but most.

You might be Old School if you used any of these:
Operating systems that loaded from Cassette Tape.
Ok, Cassette Tape qualifies too.
Keypunch
Teletype
30 baud acoustical modem
Vax computers (best ever made)
DOS, or better yet, DRDOS, or rarer yet... Berkley GEOS (think it was berkley...)
Hard Drives that came in a "disk pack" where you could see the platters.
a "Scratch Pack"
Green Bar Paper
Punch Tape
slimline phone

I'll stop there. :) I spent a year in a college IT program recently and none of these new nerds had heard of any of this stuff. The idea of talking to a computer via a 100 baud teletype by pressing a command key to request it's attention, and then typing a command and pressing a "send" key blew their mind. Punch Cards was another mind blower.

Ok, that brings back memories... first job out of college was designing the control interface between a Spec 16 computer and the company newly released "high speed" paper tape reader/punch unit!!

You might be old school if you know what all the computer icons are actually pictures of, and remember using them regularly (envelope, floppy disc, clipboard, manila folders, etc)

Never knew about the banana skins, but I did pull a trans apart once and found it packed with sawdust. And while were talking about cars, you might be old school if
your car had the high/low beam switch on the floor.

Edit: oops, sorry gonzo, didn't see you mentioned this one.
You might be Old School if you used a slingshot to kill robins in the backyard which your mother would breast out and cook with polenta for dinner.

I still use a slingshot on pigeons.

Pigeons are known as flying rats around here.

No pigeons here or within 20 miles of me. Have a pair of Red Tails that nest in the big pine tree out back.

"Billy G"

Back