Old School

Bill, I had one of those "spring" reverbs for my 1964 Ford Falcon Sprint !!! wow, forgot all about those!

What are these "Spring reverb things you speak of"?

You might be old school if the transmission in your car had sawdust in it.

Don't recall the sawdust, but do remember banana skins, to quieten it down also in the diff.

Even in the late 60s, when I was in college in a small town in Iowa, you only had to dial 5 numbers. There was only one prefix (385, I think) so you just dialed 5-xxxx. To get the small town down the road, you only dialed 7-xxxx.
I remember our phone number from when I was about 16 YO. X2825 And yes it was a rotary dial. That was in Adelaide S. Australia, 1960 with a population of about half a million. only about 10% of my friends had a phone in their house.

I reckon I must be old school as most of these things are familiar to me and I'll add a few.

I don't have a DRO, don't want one, my micrometer and calipers are all I've ever needed. Although I must confess I had to trade up from my vernier calipers to digital, a few years back, my eyesight not as good as it once was.

I don't have or want CNC. I have never used it, can't see the point now.

I have welded Aluminium with oxy acetylene, pre mig and tig.

I still have a couple of slide rules, including a circular one, great for Trig with very fine angles and still know how to use them.

I still sharpen my drills by hand, although I'm thinking about getting one of those fancy drill doctor things, for the small sizes, less than 3 mm, my eyesight aint what it used to be.

Many others, but can't think of them just now.

What are these "Spring reverb things you speak of"?
A spring reverb used a spring in a metal case to run an audio signal through to make echos of the music, voice, or whatever. Sounds like you are in an hard walled empty room with echos only much more so if you turned it up. Most of my experience is with guitar amplifiers, where reverb is still very common, but usually electronically generated today. We called the old ones "reverb tanks." The ones in the cars would make crashing noises if you went over some rough bumps or tracks and the spring(s) crashed into the box or each other. Same with music amplifiers. Back in the day we would kick or rock the amplifier about to make the reverb crash. "Heavy metal." Actually, I was (and am) more into blues and jump.

Actually we had a hand cranked telephone at home until about 1990. Dalgety NSW exchange. Our area code, 0248 was longer than our Phone #. 72

A spring reverb used a spring in a metal case to run an audio signal through to make echos of the music, voice, or whatever. Sounds like you are in an hard walled empty room with echos only much more so if you turned it up. Most of my experience is with guitar amplifiers, where reverb is still very common, but usually electronically generated today. We called the old ones "reverb tanks." The ones in the cars would make crashing noises if you went over some rough bumps or tracks and the spring(s) crashed into the box or each other. Same with music amplifiers. Back in the day we would kick or rock the amplifier about to make the reverb crash. "Heavy metal." Actually, I was (and am) more into blues and jump.
I had a horrible vision that it would be something like that, but I have never heard of one before and certainly never seen one. However back in the day, the early 60'sw we used to make our own using a short length of audio tape made up into a loop , running continuously past an erase head, a record head then 4 or 5 playback heads each one with its own gain control, some of them even had a variable speed control. we called them echo boxes.

Back