Oil Seal For The Colchester

Brian could you give an example what your talking about.Just want to have as much info as possible before going to bearing house

Ok, so the shaft going through the bearing housing is slightly smaller than the ID of the housing, but does not actually rely on the bearing housing as a bearing ? So, that must mean that you require an inboard bearing and an outboard bearing to keep the shaft in alignment. So, the inboard bearing provides the alignment in the oil bath side of the bearing housing and the outboard bearing provides the alignment on the outboard side of the bearing housing, as well as providing the oil seal ?

If what I am seeing is correct, the fact that the bore of the bearing receiver has been altered can easily be overcome, by either boring and re-bushing to original size, or boring to the next available size to suit the bearings available.

You can get past this Carroll.... it's all just parts that have been made by humans.... long before CNC.... :confused:

Brian :)

Sorry Carroll, but I am simply cross-referencing your parts diagram with mine. They are very similar, but not quite the same. I am assuming that a flanged bearing would provide the oil seal. Don't be hasty in ordering any bearings. Just go in with what you have and let them figure out what you need. Sometimes less information is better. It is less likely to lead in a direction that is dictated by laziness.... I meant on their part, not yours... :) . Don't worry, you'll get this figured out. You've come a long way with your wonderful restoration of your lathe. Just another hurdle to the finish line.

Brian :)

Last edited:
Brian you describe it perfectly.Tomorrow I am going to go to Houston Bearing and see if one of the counter guys can come up with something that is close fit.I believe that I can do alittle machining to get the oil seal to fit where it use to be.

Guys after bout 40 min drive to Houston Bearing with parts in hand,all I came away with is oil seal and a decimal chart which is nice.The guys did take some measurements and said that my shaft is metric,the bearing is a sealed bearing but only for dust,moisture but not 100% for oil.So going to plan B now,I had to place an order with McMaster-Carr so I order another metric bearing of the same size,order bronze oilite sleeve bushing that I can bore it out to match the shaft.But I am looking into needle roller bearing to see if I can find one that will fit.And I also order couple different sizes oil seals that fit the shaft but will need to do some machining to the bearing housing for the oil seal to fit it.I wish I could explain this alittle better that we would all have a better understanding.Thanks to Brian's positive comments I do feel better about this and feel I can fix this putting it back the way it was one step at a time.:) I did post question about sleeve vs roller in another section,but I think that I stand a better chance with bushing.Thanks guys---kroll

I feel dumb but can't understand the discussion very well. Are you trying to decide between a needle bearing and a bushing? If so, the needle bearings is fussier about the hardness and surface finish of the shaft running in it. Most likely either could carry the load if the fits and finishes are suitable. Seems to me you would want a double lipped seal on the outside with the main lip facing in to retain the oil and the secondary one facing out to keep dirt and dust out. I agree that a typical sealed bearing is intended to retain grease in the bearing but should not be counted on to retain oil in a gearbox. Maybe you need a bearing or bushing with the correct ID and OD, and a separate seal carrier? Does the setup have to control endwise movement of the shaft? Sorry if I'm being dense here...

That is something that I did not know or consider was that rollers like harder material.I am only guessing that I may be able to find a roller,but that's off the table now.So bronze bushing it is.No sir please do ask questions,I am learning as I go.I am out of my comfort zone,the end play is done away with using a snap ring that holds all against a shoulder.----kroll

not to throw too much information into the situation...
there are caged roller bearings that utilize a race that is shrunk/ pressed upon the shaft, the bearing unit is encased in an outer race.
the shaft doesn't need a polished finished for the race to provide it's function,
an anaerobic locking agent (locktite,etc) is often used to secure the race to the shaft for the ones that aren't pressed /shrunk.

here's an example of the bearings
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWghYkGqYazPppR1BCw0Sa75CZSEMMj-JM8AMEGHHzNqmRYw1dpw.jpg

I like that,for that not so perfect shaft.I will add that to my options and see if I can find one that fit or comes close to fitting the shaft.Thanks Mike for the pic which is a big help for me to understand----kroll

Back