Oil Seal For The Colchester

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good afternoon guys,well I have ran into another hurdle today on my 13" 1965 Colchester lathe.I have couple other post in this section where I talk about some of the issues such as the limit switch.Just the other day I over come that problem with the help of some members here.So I move on to my next hurdle which is oil leaking from a sealed bearing but coming from the spindle head.Not know what was behind that bearing I called Clausing with the part #'s from my manual thinking that all I needed was the oil seal since its leaking Right??? Well they don't have those anymore but I ask if they could email me a diagram with specs so that maybe I could find one that would fit.Haven't heard back yet so though I would take this alittle futher.So today I pulled that section which all it took was removing the pulley(which was cover w/oil) then 3 bolts that section just pulled out.Well with my manual in front of me I took apart that section one piece at a time which before I thought it was perfect when I spin the shaft by hand(so smooth)but there is a roller bearing missing and what I thought was the oil seal is what I also thought was just a plain bearing and it was just a plain bearing with Japan on it.So yrs ago someone replace the oil seal since maybe it was not available back then but done away with the roller bearing since they went back with just a plain seal bearing.And I bit it still leak back then.So here some pics of my problem.Hoping maybe someone someplace either here in the states or UK will have an answer for a fix.To me this is earth shaking problem---Help kroll
DSC02862.JPG DSC03016.JPG DSC03014.JPG DSC03022.JPG DSC03025.JPG DSC03024.JPG DSC03023.JPG

Guys I forgot to say that I did find out that the oil seal is a Weston WB16911037 R21 I did send Weston and email which is in the UK to see if they have it in stock and if they would sell to an individual,but that's a long shot.Guys any help,suggestions,ideals on how I can improvise?Help and thanks----kroll

Hi Carroll,

I would think that if you brought the shaft, bearing receiver, and your schematics into a reputable bearing supplier, they should be able to fit you up with a suitable replacement. There's got to be something out there that will suit the purpose.

Brian :)

oil seals are made in (most) any size imaginable from many manufacturers.
if you can ascertain the seals inside diameter (shaft diameter), it's outside diameter, and it's thickness, you can order it form most any bearing or seal supplier.
don't get hung up on the name brand, many manufacturers will make similar seals with similar specifications.
the only other decisions you may need to make would be if the seal is single or double lipped and whether it is a box seal or not.

Last edited:
at the risk of sounding obtuse, i'd consider reinstating the caged needle bearings too.
they can be obtained by getting an ID, OD, and Length.
INA makes loads of needle bearings
McGill also makes heavy duty caged needles as well

Thanks guys for the ideals which not far from me is Houston Bearings.My problem is that the bearing picture is not the original design and there is no oil seal at all,which all this was change out by previous owner.Where the bearing is in the pic is where the oil seal should be and behind that seal there should have been a bronze bushing or roller bearing.But the shaft looks like someone may have tried to turn different OD which is where the bushing or bearing should be.I did talk with Clausing several times which they recommend that I go back with bronze bushing and the oil seal.To do that I need to turn the s haft so that nice smooth and round and a consistent OD to match the oil seal.Which I think it means that I need to chuck it up perfectly so that its true with the back bearing,I don't think I have the skills for that.So I have two choices I think,1st being the bushing,oil seal,turning OD of the shaft and bore out the bushing to match the shaft or go back with just the sealed bearing which had some loc-tite at the edges to help seal and as one person said that I need to drop the oil level down to half way in the site glass.Here's some pics that Clausing sent me that my lathe should have been like. 6500 Bushings (1).jpg popup-oil-seal Clausing.png

Attachments

• Spindle Head.pdf
    87.6 KB · Views: 9
Which brings me to my next question,Cast or 841? http://www.bronzebushings.com/ If I go the bushing route than I will need to bore the bushing out providing that I turn the OD on the shaft.-----Guys I believe this is my last hurdle cause everything seems to check out OK,all power feeds work but haven't tried threading---kroll

Hi Carroll,

Ok, I don't quite have a handle on exactly what has been altered by someone else. We are only concerned with the bearing receiver and the shaft. Does the shaft appear to have been cut down? In addition, does the bearing receiver appear to have been bored out or altered ? The bearing that you are after is a flanged bearing that also has an oil seal, if I am reading the parts list and parts diagram correctly. .... So, are you missing the bushing as well .... part #5042?

From your diagram, there is a snap ring on both sides of the bearing housing, keeping the shaft from moving horizontally. I assume that the part #5037 is also a bearing ? ... and is contained between the snap rings...

Sorry for all of the questions... just trying to get my head around what you are up against....

Brian

Another possible solution would be to search out someone parting out a machine and acquire the original unmodified parts to put it all back to original. That's actually what I would do.

Oh no Brian please do ask questions,the bearing receiver has been alter from the old oil seal to the sealed bearing.On the inside you can see and feel a ridge where it was bored out.Has the shaft been alter also,well I really don't know but I think that where the shaft is black or looks like it was heated at the factor I believe its original.If the shaft has never been alter then this bearing housing has never had a bushing or a roller bearing before.There is a snap ring that keeps the big bearing and shaft in place on the oil side of the head but there is no place for a snap ring on the other side.Strange,you know I have look at afew manuals on the net and there are little changes,such as one with bushings and another with roller bearings and the missing snap ring.Anyway I did not know what kind of bearing that I needed until now,"Flange Bearing" So tomorrow or Tuesday I think I an going to run down to Houston Bearing with parts in hand and see what can come up with to make this work.
Robert I did give that a try,look on ebay here and in the UK but nothing.So I need a flange bearing with an oil seal?
Guys thanks for sticking with me on this, and not giving up.If any thoughts or ideals please let me know,will see what Houston Bearing can come up with----kroll

Last edited:
Back