Oil Seal For The Colchester

Good morning,last couple afternoons and this morning I was able to work on the oil seal.Glad that I had order couple bronze bushings cause I mess up another one.So I'm 1 out of 3 boring bushings.But the last one I feel good about other than I wish I would took alittle more out of the bore.Taking Brians ideal of getting close then using sandpaper to do the fine tuning,which I wish I would done more fine tuning.Getting it all turning the shaft is a little tight,but it turns by hand.
DSC03061.JPG
Bushing installed with green loctite just on the upper 1/2 of the bushing
DSC03063.JPG
Where the previous owner remove material to install a bearning I made this ring w/shoulder to put back an oil seal which also has loctite to hold it in place and to keep oil from leaking out.
DSC03064.JPG
Here is a pic of the double lip oil seal,no loctite here just some oil which it snap into place.
DSC03065.JPG
Here is the finish product,which I've taken this apart so many times,I will leak test it tomorrow.Going to give the loctite a day to cure,keeping my fingers cross on this,but its bound to help make it better.NOW
DSC03066.JPG.
Guys here's my next project,replacing the bushing which is very thin.While working on the oil seal I move this gear and notice that it wiggles from side to side,so I bet that this is where some of the noise is coming from.So my game plan is to let the loctite cure then run the lathe awhile and check for any oil.I sure hope that this chapter of this book is finish.Thanks guys for sticking with me on this----kroll

Looking good, you might want a lubrication groove, like a very coarse thread on the inside of the bushing.
I got my fingers crossed for the leaking test

Thanks guys,well heck wish I would have though about a groove.Which bring me to a question, since this bushing is one of those
oil embedded bushings will it also absorb oil?Oil will work its way to the bushing from the head but will it absorb oil to keep the shaft wet.While I was machining this bushing,droplets of oil was coming out.

Sounds like the bushing is porous phosphor bronze, which is made by compressing and heating the powdered metals together, (sintering) which leaves voids in the material, which can then be filled with oil. At the moment, it is "full" but being wetted with oil will do it no harm, and if voids become available, the wetting oil will fill them. Where these bushes are used in electric motors, usually of the shaded pole type, they can dry out and the oil eventually gets mixed with dust and dirt, and polymerises. If the bushing is washed in a strong solvent such as acetone, or even aerosol brake cleaner, then boiled in soapy water and dried out, they can be soaked in warm oil, and are as good as new. I foresee no problems in the way this bush has been installed, even without a lubrication groove.
Phil

I agree with Phil. If this was a solid bushing, then an oiling groove would be an absolute must. But where this is a sintered bearing and has contact with the "wet" side of the gear box, oil will wick into the bearing.

We are all looking forward to your "leak test" Carrol. I am confident that it will be a success. :)

Brian

Thanks guys for passing that information on,well I have some good news.I fill the head back up to 1/2 in site glass then started up the lathe and ran it for about 10mins in low speed,then shifted gears 16 times going from low to high.But only running it for a few mins in each speed,checking for leaks during each stop.After that I pulled the pulley off and check inside the pulley for oil and did not see any coming from the seal.I remove the brake shoes and check around the ring that I made and did not see anything.There was some oil on the outside of the pulley but think that is coming from the belts before I made the repairs.So I know that this is just a small test but so far so good :) and I am happy.I guess the real test will come over time when I put it to work but I feel good about the work that I did.For now I am moving to my next repair project which is a bushing for the gear pictured which is 1.5 long.Going to say that this part of the project is complete,thanks for staying with me I would have never been able to do this without ya'll help---kroll

Good morning guys,well good news,my bushing came in bout mid week,push in on the shaft with alittle Loctite 603.The gear was just a tad to tight so I had to turn the bushing down couple thou.Then using Brians ideal using sandpaper to fine tune the fit,now it fits perfect.So ran the lathe through all the speeds again,so far so good and no oil coming from the seal.My next task is:It makes me nervous, is to adjust the spindle head getting it lined up.I will have to read the manual again to learn how to do that.Its going to be terrible cause the 4 bolts that holds spindle head is hard to get to and the 2 small adjustment screws is also hard to get to.Any suggestions,guidance,prayers-----------kroll

Hello Carroll,

I am glad to hear that your repair looks like it is a success. I've never even looked at how the head stock is adjusted on mine.

Brian :)

Oh its such a pain,takes an allen wrench.Two up front is just under the bed ways can only turn them bout 1/4 turn.Then the two on the back I will need to take parts off to get to them.But I have to try,just take my time

Back