Oil Can Source?

Take a look at Beta tools oilers.
I don't own one but will probably buy one of the small ones soon. Reilang is on my list also. Thanks Mikey.

Can anybody post a photo or two of an oil can tip that ACTUALLY pumps oil through a ball oiler?

I have several oil cans and NONE of them ever have put oil through a ball oiler. Constant source of frustration not to be able to put adequate lubrication down the throats of ball oilers. I would like to see what a tip looks like that actually works- if indeed such a thing exists. Then maybe I can go buy or make the correct something that will deliver sufficient oil where it is supposed to go... sorry for the testy tone of my post. I just don't understand why so many machine tools are equipped with such worthless devices as ball oilers.

Thanks much,
Glenn
Glenn, I made an oiler for these ball fittings some years ago out of an ordinary grease gun. I removed the spring and plunger and sealed the end cap with a gasket material disk. I replaced the discharge tube with a pointed tube grease gun accessory that I think I bought at NAPA. I just unscrew the end cap and fill it with way oil and I have no troble forcing oil in those silly fittings. The pointed tip seals very well.

Can anybody post a photo or two of an oil can tip that ACTUALLY pumps oil through a ball oiler?

I have several oil cans and NONE of them ever have put oil through a ball oiler. Constant source of frustration not to be able to put adequate lubrication down the throats of ball oilers. I would like to see what a tip looks like that actually works- if indeed such a thing exists. Then maybe I can go buy or make the correct something that will deliver sufficient oil where it is supposed to go... sorry for the testy tone of my post. I just don't understand why so many machine tools are equipped with such worthless devices as ball oilers.

Thanks much,
Glenn
Ball oilers .. fairly good to close up an oil hole without the cap sticking up above the mean surface .... so nothing to knock off if you catch it .

Why not put a single small nick in the rim of the end of the oil can nozzle with a fine triangular swiss file or a decent junior hacksaw blade etc . So that when you use the nozzle tip to depress the ball in the oiler there is somewhere that the oil can escape from the oil can tip , to run down the ball & into the oil reservoir ... :cheerful: Job done .. Simples ...:encourage:

Several comments above about having to depress the ball in the oiler to allow the oil to enter the fitting.??? The pressure generated by the oil pump is what depresses the ball. It is like a small check valve - you don't have to do anything, just pump the oil in. Maybe I am missing something? Are there other types of fittings?

I found this Reilang oiler for $70 delivered. Seems steep, but maybe it's worth it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Reilang-...:g:pYkAAOSwaNBUexfP&item=262850141541&vxp=mtr

I see the Reilang R003-253 7oz oil can for for $56.13 if you really want one..
https://www.jensputzier.com/reilang...3-253-merkur-precision-oiler-with-double-pump
If you order it from their website, not ebay..

Oops.. The one you found was the R003-252, which is a 10oz oil can.. It is a few bucks more. $58.64 Shipped to the USA/
https://www.jensputzier.com/reilang...3-252-merkur-precision-oiler-with-double-pump

Someone Please Clarify..
I hate leaky oil cans.. I have a bunch of them. But, I wasn't as lucky as darkzero to buy a plastic can that works.. Ha..Ha..
In order of price that Does Not Leak..?
Plastic clear oil cans pictured above by DarkZero.. I'm going to look for some of them.

The Eagle 66.. No one said they didn't leak.. Can anyone confirm whether they do or not?
I see one on ebay for a not too bad price yet.. Still open bid..

The Reilang is the Cadillac of oil cans.. Price to match.. Might do that if I don't get something else that works..
I have 3 or 4 of the Golden Rod or Golden Rod Clone cans.. All of them leak from somewhere.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

14242414?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

I've got a Reilang 200 ml oiler ordered. I picked up a couple Goldenrod oilers this past weekend, and have Vectra 2 and Spindle oil on order as well. I should be all set in the next couple weeks.

Back