Oil Can Source?

Got the lube figured out. I need one oiler for spindle oil into ball oilers--the Reilang seems like the ticket. I need another way to dispense way oil--thinking the Goldenrod oiler will work well for that, although Reilang also has an oiler with a brush that look like it would work well, but I'd rather not drop another $70.

Yup, that's why I have two; one for way oil and one for hydraulic oil. Works good.

I have 3 Golden Rod oilers - good oilers and useful for general squirting, but the ones I have don't generate enough pressure for the oil fittings. I have one of the clear pump units like darkzero, but in pressure service the check ball down inside keeps getting imbedded in the plastic seat.

The Eagle 66 project looks like it has a good pump (may have to make one some day) and if I ever see an Eagle 66 for cheap, I'll get it.

Here is the Reilang pump with both tips (if you need both the cup and nipple let him know - he'll probably send both anyway). I've also included a shot of the oil cans that I am using or have messed around with (this does not include greasing devices, RapidTap or tapping squirts).

"If I knew then what I know now" I'd have about half the number of oiling devices.

DSCF7445.JPG

DSCF7446.JPG

DSCF7447.JPG

DSCF7448.JPG

DSCF7449.JPG

So, how does one remove a ball oiler. I assume they are screwed into a threaded hole... which means unscrewing them some how, or drilling them out and prying with a screw driver or awl...

What is the recommended method?

Thanks
Glenn

So, how does one remove a ball oiler. I assume they are screwed into a threaded hole... which means unscrewing them some how, or drilling them out and prying with a screw driver or awl...

What is the recommended method?

Thanks
Glenn

How to remove them without damage to reuse them, I have no idea. I've heard of people screwing wood or drywall screws or similar into them then pulling up on them.

I too would like to know if there's a correct way to do it. I do have replacement ball oilers & there's nothing to them, just a press fit so I would think that they come out pretty easy.

Thanks Darkzero. I'd like to put large oil caps or even drip oilers in place of some of my oilers. Think I will try the sheet rock screw method. Might also try an easy out, if pressed in.

Glenn

I have 3 Golden Rod oilers - good oilers and useful for general squirting, but the ones I have don't generate enough pressure for the oil fittings. I have one of the clear pump units like darkzero, but in pressure service the check ball down inside keeps getting imbedded in the plastic seat.

The Eagle 66 project looks like it has a good pump (may have to make one some day) and if I ever see an Eagle 66 for cheap, I'll get it.

Here is the Reilang pump with both tips (if you need both the cup and nipple let him know - he'll probably send both anyway). I've also included a shot of the oil cans that I am using or have messed around with (this does not include greasing devices, RapidTap or tapping squirts).

"If I knew then what I know now" I'd have about half the number of oiling devices.
David,
Did you modify the ball oiler tip or did it work/seal well from the get-go?
Evan

Hi Evan,
To make the oil gun work - no modification was required. It worked great right out of the box. Yes, it seals well (if the fitting is in good condition, then all the oil goes in). On my little mill, with the nipple style fittings, there are a couple where I can't get perpendicular to the fitting - so I'm not getting a good delivery on them (can't really blame the oiler).

As others have said, you may need a few different oiling devices. I found a Lincoln oil pump and added a flex end that works for those difficult to access fittings.

two comments here.
1st i have 4 golden rod oilers. they work fine. but, i hated the paint; so, i stripped it off and polished the cans. very easy to strip with the cheapest paint stripper, it almost falls of as you brush on the stripper.

2nd all i do to oil the ball oilers is depress the ball with a sharp tool such as a scribe and drip the oil in.

well maybe 3 comments. now i'm going to goggle reilang oilers

Hi all,

First post to H-M, hope the photo uploads correctly. :)

I'm completing set up on my new PM1340GT. The issue of how to work with those ball oilers crossed my to-do list the first day I uncrated her. After a couple of lunch time searches thru the interwebs, here's how I did it.

The oil can is from Tractor Supply. The one I chose has a flexible spout. It's of the expected stamped quality, so a little care to flush it out to remove any bits of flash is prudent.

I ran a small round file perpendicular across the tip so pushing it against the ball does not prevent oil from flowing into the oiler chamber. I then added a short section of model glow engine fuel tube over the tip as a gasket of sorts. I cut it a little proud so it compresses and does a better job of sealing.20170225_083950.jpg

It works like a charm!

Back