Not To Bring Up Bad Memories Still; Have You Ever Been InJured Doing Machining?

I had a very large tap wrench slap back at me one time when the big 1-1/8 tap bottom out in the bind hole I was chasing and sizing the thread. I was jogging the lathe spindle, jogged it one time too much. Had a loose fitting half rotten shirt on at the time, grabbed that shirt, ripped it into and got me good in the belly. I was around 155 lbs back then. Lucky I only got a large bruise from that.

Moral of the story, never use power to clean a tapped hole out with a large tap wrench! It can fight back!

Grinder cut my hand back when trying to pull a grounded pin out a sticky collet.....grinding stones cut through easy. So move the slide car way away and have your collets clean.

Don't ever raise the guard on a router table with the bit spinning at 20,000 rpm so you can see the last of a cut better....................it makes a real sickening thudding sound as your fingers are being chewed into hamburger meat.

Luckily the only permanent damage is a deformed fingernail on my index finger.

Sometimes you do stupid things knowing they are stupid at the time.

Luckily, no serious injuries here -and I don't take it for granted and thank my lucky stars...

I'll admit to two dumb things that cost me a little grief...

1) Was surface grinding and had earplugs in. I thought I turned off the motor and the wheel had come to a stop but, it was spinning at full speed. There was and inch and a half of clearance between the wheel and table. I went to wipe the table with a rag and brushed the top of my hand past the wheel. There was (fortunately) plenty of room so my hand didn't get squashed/pinched but man, it took off some skin.

2) Had a center drill in the mill spindle. Motor was off. I went to lift a 20lb part out of the chuck and while lifting up, the hand slipped off the piece and went smashing into the center drill. Hit me right on the knuckle and made a 1/2" gash. I looked at it and wiggled my fingers, I could see the tendon moving back & forth -still attached and not damaged but fully exposed. It looks just like a chicken leg joint in there. Was kinda creepy...

Ray

The most blood I ever lost at one time, happened on a locked out machine. I was working in the electrical cabinet, which had a disconnect handle on the door, with a square shaft linking the handle to the electrical disconnect in the back of the panel. The square shaft is sharpened to a point so that it guides itself into the back of the handle when you close the panel, and it sticks out at eyeball level. Fortunately it didn't get my eyeball. I walked up to the panel and leaned forward to retrieve something from the bottom of the panel and hit that spear hard in the top of my head; almost knocked me out. I was reeling all over, light headed, tripped and fell down. Left a 2" long gash with lots of meat showing; I'm pretty sure it was down to my skull, but I couldn't tell for sure by looking in the mirror. Should have gotten stitches, but I just let it heal. Probably have a gross looking scar if I ever go bald.

worst whooping i took was a 1/2" D handled drill . i had a S&D 1" bit chucked up when it grabbed
i took the drill for a ride like a Rodeo Champ before i could shut it off. i swear it nearly broke my wrist.

i had a 7" grinder skip off an angled surface and get me pretty good about half way up on the medial portion of my left thigh.
let me tell you brother Carborundum at full speed will cauterize any wound and will take a bite right out of you.
but, it has the unfortunate side effects of having to be excruciatingly picked out piece by piece.
all this before 2 layers of stitches to close!!
sounds like good times!!!

on an unrelated event i unintentionally punched a 23" long blade specially German designed for cutting meat efficiently.
the blade went an inch or so deep right between my ring finger and the middle finger of my left hand.
the operator had over tightened the blade retaining nuts and i leaned on the wrench a little too hard to loosen the nut. Boom :panic:
the rest was pretty gross and bloody.
i madeshift a bandage of paper towels, a cloth towel and electrical tape to keep some of juice in me before i could get stitched up.

Last edited:
Does injured pride count?

If so, then I'm regularly injured!

A Black and Decker wild cat, with a 4 inch cup brush took my shirt and some skin off one day. I had the face shield and saftyglasses, but an untucked shirt. Now I make certain the shirt tails are "in"!

Does setting yourself on fire with an angle grinder count? I was holding the grinder so that the blade was vertical and was grinding some bolt heads off. Next thing I knew was my pants leg was

I still have all my fingers and toes, but have had minor injuries too many to remember. Several should have received stitches, and have had out-patient surgery on my right eye. But learned something each and every time and for the most part, haven't had repeat injuries.

Back