Not To Bring Up Bad Memories Still; Have You Ever Been InJured Doing Machining?

I never gave those grinding wheels a 2nd thought until I started reading these forums. Now I always tap the wheel for a ring and stand to the side when I start the grinder. Wonder if they'd be safer if fiber reinforced?

Just my 2 cents but If had to guess, I would say the reinforced ones may be stronger. Had a stone let go the other day at work, but lucky for me it was just a 1 3/4" valve grinding stone, it was on the diamond dresser and it blew in 1/2. We wear heavy coverall's and the valve grinding stones run, horizontal not vertical, so it hit me in the chest / gut area, hit pretty hard, would not have wanted, to take that hit to my head, and that was a small stone! One more thing I have read some where, is when you first start your grinder, you should start it and get away from it, for like one minute or so, I read into this they blow more often at startup, if damaged. Like I said in a earlier post the Dumore Tool Post grinders have a great instruction manual on inspecting the stomes for there grinders before you use them! One more thing maybe we should throw out here, maybe someone has a guideline on grinding on the side of the regular grinding wheels? I have a carbide tool grinder with on side diamond, and the other side a stone, but that is a cup style stone, so I know you can grind on the side of that stone. I would have to say this, we all know if you have ran a bench grinder at all, we are all probably guilty at one point in time grinding on the side of the wheel! You know what I mean the kind of deal where it's 90% done on the face of the wheel, so i will just use the side to dress it up! I also have to raise my hand HIGH I have ground on the side of the wheel!

Bob in Oregon

Gloves; when buffing with that innocent looking cloth wheel, USE welding gloves those innocent wheels will suck the work and slice you to pieces.
I know. Other than that NO.

Sure, get wounded all the time. Never been hurt with the bolted down machines, but get nicked with hand tools. Sure, I've cut myself, say something slipped during setup and gouged some skin or mashed a thumb, but noting power related. I cherish the idea of fastening the work and cutting tool onto the machine and letting the machine do the work, unlike woodworking where the operator is an active "participant". Had way too many close calls, decided to shut down the woodworking and go with metal shop. Like it better anyway.

Bill

never, never, never use your radial arm saw for a surface grinder, and your hand as a vice I was lucky,

Thanks, good info there. I test my wheels' "ring" while mounted, with a light metal bar, but according to that pdf they should be removed from the arbor. I really cannot see doing that every time I use the grinder, maybe a monthly or weekly check dismounted

You What!!!!

You cannot get a "ring" test with the wheel mounted!!!!

Ring test before mounting. As long as the mounted wheel is not tampered with, you don't need to retest. But if you remove the wheel and remount, yes you have to ring test again.

I had a wheel that ring test first time in use and went to reuse and could not get a good ring test out of. That wheel was broken in pieces with a hammer and tossed in the trash.

Always, if in doubt, ring test, ring test, ring test!!!! And if still in doubt, destroy it and get another wheel.

In another life, long ago I worked as a millwright in a tile backer board manufacturing plant ( Hardi-Backer ) in Southern California. There was one hammerhead on our crew who was twice bit working on machines that he failed to lock out. He wasn't seriously hurt either time, but it wasn't for lack of trying. The second time, he was down the road. In that vein, I was making some modifications to the main line and I needed to measure a roller. It was simple measurement to make so I hit the emergency stop on the line and snaked my tape measure under the belt to get the length of the roller. At that time, one of the operators restarted the machine and it snatched my tape and almost got my arm. We had to shut the line down for an hour and get my tape out. Lost production in a factory is serious business and my name was dirt for a couple of days. Just lucky all we had to fish out was a tape measure, and not an arm.

Many many years ago I had a large angle grinder kick back at me.
I cant remember the size, either 8 or 10", it had no guard and I was cutting out old ally welds on a truck body when it grabbed and kicked back at me.
Luckily this was in the middle of winter, it cut straight through my leather apron, leather motorcycle jacket, heavy denim boiler suit, thick Norwegian woolen sweater, sweatshirt, T shirt and only drew a red line accross my chest and ribs. Lucky lucky lucky.
Other than that its basically been small cuts, stabs and burns.

I've been fortunant. Lost my thumbnail once. A few cuts and burns here and there, nothing serious. I have been machining for 28 years now. The worst cut i ever got was from using a piece of brass for a hammer that had a sharp bur where it had been parted off. In a hurry and no gloves. But i dont ever where gloves while actually machining. We had a guy at work that lost a finger when he got hung up, coulda been a lot worse. And please where your glasses.

Back