Not To Bring Up Bad Memories Still; Have You Ever Been InJured Doing Machining?

Lost the top part of my LH little finger from sliding a job off a hydraulic press onto a forklift. The job slid off, and as it "kicked" up on an angle my finger got squashed between it and the ram in a split second. Had to have my finger removed at the first knuckle.

Not really sure if this counts as "machining" or just general stupidity, but I managed to inflict a pretty nasty injury upon myself about a week ago while trying to adapt a pruning saw blade intended for a different pole-pruner to the one I own. The "wrong" blade was lacking a hole to fit over a stud on the head of the pruner.

I resisted the temptation to try to free-hand drill a hole with a cordless drill, and instead clamped the blade into a vise on the drill press, and using cutting oil and progressively larger bits, I was carefully creating the needed hole. A momentary lapse of attention allowed my left hand to stray into the danger zone just as the drill bit jammed - spinning the (loosely) bolted vise (with the pruning saw blade) into my wrist. First reaction: Ouch. Second one: Wow, that's allot of blood.

Lessons learned:
1) tighten the bolts all the way.
2) keep your hands out of the potential path of destruction.
3) don't have the pointy side facing towards yourself.
4) sometimes one should consider going back to the store and getting the right part.

I just has the stitches removed yesterday, my wrist is still sore as hell, but luckily, no permanent damage to anything but my pride.

My mate was drilling some plate on my mill drill.
He had just been using a angle grinder and was wearing Kevlar gloves
A piece of swarf caught him and pulled the glove in to the chuck
The glove was OK but it pulled his index finger off
NEVER WEAR GLOVES ON MACHINE TOOLS
I have pictures if you want them
They will make you think
John

Oh yeah, been hurt a few times. Flashed my eyes twice, burns and cuts all the time, though most of the cuts were from model building large scale R/C planes. Now they are big enough to see and not lose sight of at the club field...
Bob

+1 I had a trainer that was so large the club members said they could always tell I was flying up to 2 miles away:)

Come to think of it, uncoiling a bandsaw blade today I remember i had to have stitches when I uncoiled some stock several years ago. Can't remember why I had it, but it was a roll of brass stock, very thin and sharp!

Hey guys lets just say I know the exact reason Lathe files have or should have handles on them. :-X

Justin Bowerman
JB Enterprise
07 FFl in central CA.

I smashed/broke a finger once. i also got like 8 stitches in my forearm when i raked it across an endmill that was in a holder in a tooling rack..

I seen a guy get hit in the face with a 8 inch lathe chuck, this is why you dont chuck on a chuck.. he got messed up pretty bad, alot of stiches, broken nose, and concussion.

in high school i seen a guy lose the tip of his finger in an open face grinder (aka snag grinder), he was sharpening a lathe tool and it snagged and smashed the tip of his finger off..

See post in general section about "ring testing" of grinding wheels...

John

Thank You very much for reminding everyone, about ring testing grinding wheels. I know a woman here in Oregon that recieved a very serious, brain injury when a grinding wheel blew up, and all she did was just walk out and ask her husband if he needed any lunch? Just dumb luck it came apart, right when she walked out to the shop. If you have the dumore tool post grinders, there op manual that comes with there grinders, also has a good section on ring testing, and grinding wheel safety. After she got hurt I guess my thought's were a lot different, on "Getting A Deal" on any garage sale grinding wheels. Bob in Oregon

I never gave those grinding wheels a 2nd thought until I started reading these forums. Now I always tap the wheel for a ring and stand to the side when I start the grinder. Wonder if they'd be safer if fiber reinforced?

Back