Not To Bring Up Bad Memories Still; Have You Ever Been InJured Doing Machining?

Ed.

Active User
Registered
Fortunately no, not in machining, I have only been using a lathe for the past year and just after I got this one, I came across a very graphic image on the web of a machinist that got caught by a lathe just slightly larger than mine, needless to say you couldn't identify what part of his top half of his body was what and it left a lasting impression of what will happen if I get careless. Since then I have been ultra carefull of what I do on it, I also have had the endless strings of swarf that snakes around the lathe and floor and just make sure I am nowhere near it in case it grabs on to something suddenly. I have had the odd cut from clearing swarf (after the lathe is turned off, I now wear gloves to do that) and been burnt by flying chips as I don't wear anything with sleeves when machining but that is about it.

I have been bitten twice by band saws and 4" grinders and I feel very lucky. The shop is a dangerous place.

Lessons learned:
Band saws will get you if you are putting too much pressure on on the cut as you reach the end of the cut. It nearly cost me a finger each time.

Those little grinders are potential hand grenades. Never use the wrench to tighten a wheel to the grinder. Only use the wrench to remove the wheel. I have the scars and the ER time to explain why.

Randy

Moving my lathe down the basement stairs, on initial release, I was stupid enough to stand in its path to get it going and it sked down the steps until the tension on the hold-back come along kicked in, and it slammed into my knee. Nothing serious, but a nice raised red lump there for a while. Stupid thing to do.

Always stay out of the path of whatever you are moving, no matter if you think you have it winched back.

Nelson

I have not been hurt. But I do remember when I was about 20 I was working as a mechanic and one of the owners of another shop who was friends with the owner I worked for was doing some grinding and the grinding wheel cracked and a piece struck him in the head killing him instantly. They found him several hours later as he usually worked late by himself in the shop.

Being young it is a memory that stays with you for a long time. Even today I am generally pay more attention to safety features than most.

No more injuries on metal working machinery other than a few hot chips flying out and sticking onto my skin. But,just as I was getting out of college,I had a kickback on my flimsy little 8" tilting TABLE table saw. It ran 2 of my fingers over the tops of my fingernails,into the flesh,cutting a 1/8" kerf out. Fortunately,no deformed nails,but it was 2 years before I could dial a telephone comfortably.

I had gotten used to pulling off stringy aluminum chips with my fingers (toughened after many years of working with wood, cutting and splitting firewood and working on cars). Not with the machine running of course. One day I did it with brass - there was blood everywhere! That stuff is like razor blades - only sharper!

I cleaned the wound with Betadine and glued it closed with Dermabond (CA skin glue - great stuff to have around when you need it) and butterflies. Nonetheless, it bled through the bandage for days everytime I used the finger for anything. Finally it stopped and healed just fine.

I hate the ER which is where a "lesser man" (or a "greater man" ;) ) would have gone to get stitched.

Apart from that, I managed to catch some thumb skin in a broach and cut out a precise 3/16" chunk of skin.

John

Magnum link=topic=3441.msg24729#msg24729 date=1315357876 said:
I have not been hurt. But I do remember when I was about 20 I was working as a mechanic and one of the owners of another shop who was friends with the owner I worked for was doing some grinding and the grinding wheel cracked and a piece struck him in the head killing him instantly. They found him several hours later as he usually worked late by himself in the shop.

Being young it is a memory that stays with you for a long time. Even today I am generally pay more attention to safety features than most.

What size wheel? That's scary.

I guess he forgot the "ring test."

John

Last edited by a moderator:
have no idea on size, was a long time ago. But that was about 30+ years ago and the wheels are made a lot better now. But if I recall it was a bench top grinder he was using to sharpen tools.

Ring test?

I seem to recall he may have been machining on the side, when the wheel was only designed to be used on the front.

Magnum link=topic=3441.msg24742#msg24742 date=1315360738 said:
have no idea on size, was a long time ago. But that was about 30+ years ago and the wheels are made a lot better now. But if I recall it was a bench top grinder he was using to sharpen tools.

Ring test?

I seem to recall he may have been machining on the side, when the wheel was only designed to be used on the front.

See post in general section about "ring testing" of grinding wheels...

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I have worked in steel mills, machine shops, fab shops and mechanic shops and I never had a big injury other than the usual stuff like minor cuts, burns, scraps and bruises. I did break my wrist roller skating though. I always try to be safe but stuff happens when you least expect it. I guess it is better to be lucky than good, knock on wood!!!
Paul

Back