New to me B&S #2 surface grinder many questions

As far as the thrust bearing , my thought was to put the end cap in the four jaw chuck and try to indicate the worn inside , then take a skim cut . Does that seem like a good way to approach the problem? Or maybe I should just get the machine in place , motor hooked up and table installed ?

Made some tools to remove the wheel hub ( a spanner is next ) I wanted to remove the outer spindle end to see why the end play was so much . It appears the bronze ( ?) thrust washer and inside of the end cap where the washer rides seem very rough . Im thinking cap i could indicate it parallel and skim it flat . There seem plenty of thrust washer online but what material ? McMaster lists a few different ones .
It seems to me that the original plain bearing spindle had a spring loaded thrust bearing inside the housing and for slot grinding, there was a setscrew accessed from the top of the spindle to temporarily lock the thrust unit, You should look up in the operator's book and see if your spindle is the same unit, I am skeptical that the thrust washer you picture is original or proper for that spindle. The book that I had was quite detailed in the care and adjustment of that spindle.

Neither of those manuals on Vintage Machery show spindle bearings like mine . I haven t seem anything online like mine either . Could a spindle have been installed from a different B&S model ?

Neither of those manuals on Vintage Machery show spindle bearings like mine . I haven t seem anything online like mine either . Could a spindle have been installed from a different B&S model ?
Anything is possible --- With the one I had, all the thrust bearing parts are inside the housing. I looked at the pictures more closely, that spindle looks entirely different than the one I had, I especially note the Gits oiler on top, mine had a constant level bottle oiler on the right side, which maintained a constant level inside the spindle.

It was nice enough the other day to move the surface grinder into a better spot in the garage, not idea because now it’s close to the lathes and mills BUT it’s not between my wife’s cars and any chance of her running into it . Most of the power feed was removed so I finished taking it off . I was surprised by the ways for the carriage were on the rough side , though consistent across . I’ll post pictures but not sure if they’ll show up . Could this have been someone doing some kind of repairs ? I also made sheet metal cover for an opening left from removing so the the power linkage.

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpeg
    IMG_1635.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 43
The last couple of weeks I finished cleaning the bed up . With the chuck removed it seems the bed is low in the middle by .002“ with the chuck installed the measurements are off conner to corner by .004“ could stick a .0015 “ under the chuck where the low section is . The bed was off and that chuck is very heavy could it warp not being supported correctly for 30 years ?

I also installed the motor that came with it but kept tripping the breaker , installed a new capacitor but still tripped the breaker . The neighbor had a motor that came off a Sears tablesaw it’s in rough shape but works . It wasn’t a direct bolts on so I modified the mounting bracket and flipped it so the motor will be mounted above the spindle with V belt drive. . The pulleys will need to be cleaned , a bushing to fit the 1/2” spindle shaft . I’m trying not to spend too much $$$ in case this ends up being junk . The original motor vs what I’m trying to do now mocked up .

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1725.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1752.jpeg
    IMG_1752.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 46
It runs !!! Made a plywood adapter for the motor , in my box of assorted belts found one close enough along with a few shims to get enough tension to test . Filled the front and rear spindle oilers , ran a minute shut off , added oil again , kept doing that progressively longer totaling about half hour . The spindle wasn‘t too warm so happy with that . I think I’ll run some more tests before painting the motor and come up with a permanent belt tensioner. Still need to figure why the bed has a bow , was hoping someone has some experience with issues similar .

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1754.jpeg
    IMG_1754.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 44
Thanks ! Garden Tractor Talk , met lots of nice people there online and in person at various tractor events
I frequent Yesterdays Tractor. I have a 1969 Oliver 550 that my grandfather bought new. It is on the list of things I plan to restore once I am retired and back on the farm...

Sorry, off topic.

I was on the Vintage Machinery site and found a manual listed that I didn’t see before and it show the spindle that looks the same as mine ! Very happy about that . Here’s the manual http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=22935. Also I kind of rushed things by mounting the wheel that came with it back onto the arbor and spindle . Then did a little test . Going to need to get a wheel dresser , some type of guard where the original was mounted

Last edited:
Back