New to me B&S #2 surface grinder many questions

Does the bed just lay into the V ?

he table just lifts off the bed, and there are no balls in between, just cast iron against cast iron.
The bed does NOT just lay in the v grooves.
Interesting. I have a #2 that came with the automatic feed system. I had the belief before reading this thread that the basic #2 was table riding on bed, cast iron to cast iron, and that my unit had an upgrade...it has a ladder like structure with rollers, two of them, that sit between the bed and table. And indeed, it all just lifts off.

I guess I still have that belief, with the addition that there may be a number of ways the #2 was configured. Sounds like all responders were correct. How often does that happen??

The auto feed unit was very complex looking and rusted to the point of looking like the Antikythera machine. So I scrapped that, actually sold it to another guy who wanted to try rebuilding it. Don't know the result.

I thought the base had mounting holes in the corners but looking closer just spot drilled ? How critical is it other then keeping it from rocking is there more alignment needed when placing for that matter it would be nicer if it was on a mobile machine base like this https://www.vevor.com/mobile-base-c...MIscPWkvjwggMVHVxHAR374wzGEAQYASABEgKXj_D_BwE or similar. I would just need to turn it slightly to get room for table travel .
If you want a mobile base I’d suggest building your own. That Vevor unit might be okay for a small table saw. No way I’d trust it with a precision machine tool that weighs at the limit.

Most times when max weights are specified by Chinese suppliers it’s actually the max static load. Double or triple capacity for moving things around.

I’ve been happy with the Carrymaster casters I used for my mill.

You can go cheaper but when I did earlier for a lathe I used to own I wasn’t happy with their performance.

John

That link shows maybe a newer version but I’ll read though it , I can always learn ! When the fellow told me about it he said he thought it weigh 300- 400 pounds then we tried moving it and I guessed more like double that I didn’t realize it was even more then that !

i have owned two of that machine, and yes, the table just lifts off the bed, and there are no balls in between, just cast iron against cast iron.
John,
Isn't this the same grinder Bob had?
Or was his older? Like the 1920's?

Made some tools to remove the wheel hub ( a spanner is next ) I wanted to remove the outer spindle end to see why the end play was so much . It appears the bronze ( ?) thrust washer and inside of the end cap where the washer rides seem very rough . Im thinking cap i could indicate it parallel and skim it flat . There seem plenty of thrust washer online but what material ? McMaster lists a few different ones .

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpeg
    IMG_1560.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1559.jpeg
    IMG_1559.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1558.jpeg
    IMG_1558.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 44
Nobody has any ideas about the thrust washer ? I guess I can just take a guess . I was cleaning up the shop and ran across this tool that must have been in a machinist box I bought , a store bought hub puller . Oh well it was good practice making one

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 38
Looking at the spindle breakdowns of the plain bearings in the online manuals mine seems different .

Looking at the spindle breakdowns of the plain bearings in the online manuals mine seems different .
One of the grinders that I had, was equipped with a ball bearing spindle, the other that I sold to Bob K had the plain bearing spindle, but other than that both were identical in all other respects.

Back