New to me B&S #2 surface grinder many questions

That does look different than mine. As best I have been able to track by the SERNO mine was made between 1904 and 1914. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the table? With the V and Flat it sure looks like the same as the cartage on a lathe with the V on one side and a flat on the other.
Look at the video that was posted, clearly a V and a flat, that was also how mine was made, I think they dated to the WW-2 era.

The front of yours looks a lot different than the front of mine. In my past research there are several different models of the No2.

You may find this very helpful or at least interesting.

B&S No2 007.JPG

Here’s the underside of my bed Also the fellow gave me 18”x24 surface plate .

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 32
The main difference between the machines is that one is the power feed model, and the other is not, it looks like the castings are the same, and the hand feed model does not have the features machined. For some small parts, the hand feed is likely faster in operation, as the automatic feed does not stroke particularly short distances.

That is another big difference. Yours is a rack and pinion table drive mine is a chain and sprocket table drive.
I wonder if these differences are due to age or power vs manual? Mine is a No2B and yours is a No2.

I am in the process of trying to make mine into a power feed. Using a surface grinder is on the list things I can no longer do since I got a pacemaker, so I need to automate the X and Z so I can start it and watch from a safe distance.

That is another big difference. Yours is a rack and pinion table drive mine is a chain and sprocket table drive.
I wonder if these differences are due to age or power vs manual? Mine is a No2B and yours is a No2.

I am in the process of trying to make mine into a power feed. Using a surface grinder is on the list things I can no longer do since I got a pacemaker, so I need to automate the X and Z so I can start it and watch from a safe distance.
My #2s were both rack drive for the table, my present Micromaster uses a toothed belt, no backlash at all with hand feed, and hydraulic on power feed. What is it about surface grinders that messes with the pacemaker?

The mag chuck.

One of the ways that the med people use to turn the pacemaker on or off or change modes, is to pass a magnet over it. A mag chuck moving back and forth can confuse the heck out of it.

There is a long list of things to stay away from, some you might not think of off hand. Some you might think are bad are not bad. A lot depends on how old your pacemaker is as to what it is designed to resist. For instance mine is older than 5G so they sent me a warning to stay away from 5G phones as soon as the 5G standard was created. The newer ones have no problem with 5G as they are designed to handle it.

I thought the base had mounting holes in the corners but looking closer just spot drilled ? How critical is it other then keeping it from rocking is there more alignment needed when placing for that matter it would be nicer if it was on a mobile machine base like this https://www.vevor.com/mobile-base-c...MIscPWkvjwggMVHVxHAR374wzGEAQYASABEgKXj_D_BwE or similar. I would just need to turn it slightly to get room for table travel .

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 28
Mine came to me with holes in the base, no way to know if it came with dimples or if someone along the line drilled them. I installed adjustable rubber tipped mounting feet so that I could easily level it on my lumpy floor.
I also have mine tuned a bit to make the table travel more convenient, this also makes access to the back of it better. I park it with the table nearest the wall when I am not using it so that it is not sticking out.

I thought the base had mounting holes in the corners but looking closer just spot drilled ? How critical is it other then keeping it from rocking is there more alignment needed when placing for that matter it would be nicer if it was on a mobile machine base like this https://www.vevor.com/mobile-base-c...MIscPWkvjwggMVHVxHAR374wzGEAQYASABEgKXj_D_BwE or similar. I would just need to turn it slightly to get room for table travel .

That roller base is to close to the edge for comfort.
The base weight of the No2 is 1430 lbs, by the time you add chuck and or vice, hold downs, wheel and any other accessories you will be over the 1500 lb max capacity of that roller base.

Back