New to me B&S #2 surface grinder many questions

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This will be my first surface grinder I’ve owned . Haven’t used ones since HS 45+ years ago . I picked it up yesterday from a fellow I met through a garden tractor forum . He bought it from a friend about 30 years ago and it was stored in a building since . Hes getting the building ready to sell and asked if I wanted it for FREE . It was quite a challenge to get it to the large door that my trailer was back to . Using pipes underneath to roll and pry bars to help turn it we were able to get it onto the tailgate , the trailer tilted too , a hand crank boat winch was able to get it into place . Once I got home i was on my own to get it off , with the Kubota backed into the garage ,was afraid to try tilting the trailer and thought the best option was to put jackstands under the trailer frame for extra support , use a strap to get the grinder close and ratchet binder to get get on the forks . The picture shows some of the progress. The little Kubota doesn’t have the lifting capacity but was able to back and lower the bucket until i was on the garage floor . I was able to get it in the garage and off to the side for the BOSS’s car . Who said that “ don’t come inside until my car is parked in the garage “ I searched here on HM for information on the B&S #2 lots of good stuff though mine seems a little different and it appears it had power feed that was all removed .

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpeg
    IMG_1523.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1524.jpeg
    IMG_1524.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 120
Now for the start of Im sure many questions . Will the hand crank of the table operate the same as it would have been mechanical only machine ? The bed , handles and motor were already removed before I’m guessing since he bought it . Does the bed just lay into the V ?

Kubota saves the day .........AGAIN ! :encourage: Following along and congrats on the grinder Cap , which tractor forum you on ?

Thanks ! Garden Tractor Talk , met lots of nice people there online and in person at various tractor events

The bed does NOT just lay in the v grooves. There is a bunch of precision balls bearings that lay in the 2 grooves and the table rolls back and forth on those balls. There is also a plastic (nylon??) ball cage that holds the spacing of the balls and keeps them from escaping. I think the balls were .7500 Dia. I have a few spares I can check later tonight.

I just recently bought a 2lb version from a working machine shop. Can’t wait to get set up! Following your thread

OH BOY I didn’t get any balls , nylon with the machine . The bed is just steel too. This machine has at least 2 moves when I got it yesterday so things could easily got lost

Tried looking for more info on the bed and what might be missing I couldn’t fine one that’s like mine In the YouTube video at around 2.08 minute he pulls the bed off and removes what looks like 4 possible bearings ? My bed doesn’t have spots for those

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 54
i have owned two of that machine, and yes, the table just lifts off the bed, and there are no balls in between, just cast iron against cast iron.

That does look different than mine. As best I have been able to track by the SERNO mine was made between 1904 and 1914. Can you post a pic of the bottom of the table? With the V and Flat it sure looks like the same as the cartage on a lathe with the V on one side and a flat on the other.

Back