New Project --- "The Catfish Reaper"

Re: New Project

Now to make 2 of these. These are Down East Rod Holder. They are the Clam Shell type that close around the handle. A taper holds them closed in the female part. A pin forces them open when you raise the rod up and out of the holder. Bar stock Aluminum 1.750X1.750.

"Billy G"

102_0765 (850 x 565).jpg

The two new rod holders are hidden very well in this aluminum stock, but given enough time I will find them. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

102_0766 (850 x 565).jpg

The first two pictures are of an original cast Down East Sportcraft Rod Holder. We are shooting for something similar to this. The last picture is of the blanks for the Clamshell part. Right now they have their backs to me and can't see me coming. I see them hiding in those blanks and they have no clue what is about to happen, but then neither do I. :lmao::lmao:

"Billy G"

102_0768 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0769 (850 x 565).jpg 102_0767 (850 x 565).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

First cuts, they are almost matched pairs. Next cut will match them up. I am rough cutting to +.060 in the band saw. The mill will bring them in. The last one must have seen me coming, it screamed like a girl. :lmao:

"Billy G"

102_0770 (850 x 565).jpg

OK, one rough pair, one set to go. I want to get the other two rough today and all into the mill tomorrow. The cutouts will be saved and used for other projects.

"Billy G"

102_0771 (850 x 565).jpg

Bill---I admire a man that always saves usable scrap for future projects----never waste and always have good supplies to choose from----it sure cuts expenses down---Dave

My day is over and it was a fruitful one at that. The pile to the right would have been chips if I didn't decide on the bandsaw.

"Billy G"

102_0772 (850 x 565).jpg

One set milled to fit, one set to go. There in one thing you have to remember to do to get the proper fit up. The inside corner where the two tails intersect must be relieved or they just won't fit right.

"Billy G"

102_0773 (850 x 565).jpg

My day is over and it was a fruitful one at that. The pile to the right would have been chips if I didn't decide on the bandsaw.

"Billy G"
+1 on the bandsaw. A slow speed (metal) bandsaw was my second machine purchase after the Mill and it seems to have a role in almost every project.

Nice project btw and great pictures and updates.

Interesting project Bill! You come up with some great ideas!

Back